Saturday, October 11, 2008

Ten Little Pimples

That's what I have growing in my chin area, as a memento from the hell week that was. (I would like to thank Maxwell House 3-in-1 coffee for helping me get through the week...)

I used to think that I was majorly stressed out as an undergrad. Ha! How wrong I was. I wouldn't say that I've completely gotten the hang of juggling work with studying for my MA, but at least I survived the first sem. :) I hope that the second sem will be easier.

My voice box, too, had to undergo major adjustments as a result of talking non-stop for an average of 4-5 hours a day... something I never had to do in my life, before I started teaching. Often, I'd arrive in UP CMu with my voice too tired from talking, so I would illustrate certain musical effects to my voice students by singing one octave lower. I'd be too vocally tired to even vocalize.

But when all is said and done, I don't want to give up teaching in the classroom. :) I'm learning so much. I had to exchange my high school English class for the Asian Civilization (AP) class for the 2nd quarter, and I'm having the time of my life reading history books and discussing the events that shaped Asian history. It's like taking History as another course in college.

However, a dangerous thing about teaching is the temptation for hubris. When you're in a position of absolute power day in and day out, sometimes it can get to you.

That's why I'm really grateful for the chance to BE the student once again, during my MA classes. Being put into a subservient position, as a break from the dictatorship position of the teacher in the classroom, is a welcome and much-needed paradigm shift.

Two weeks to go before sem break. Awoo!

~ ~ ~

Something I read from the peyups multiply page:

"Ang Pag-aaral sa 'Big Three' maikukumpara sa pag-aaral mag-swimming:

Sa La Salle
, aalalayan ka mula simula hanggang matuto kang lumangoy.
Kahit marunong ka na aalalayan ka pa rin.

Sa Ateneo
, aalalayan ka sa simula hanggang matuto kang lumangoy. Kapag marunong
kana, papabayaan ka nang mag-isa.

Sa UP
, itutulak ka sa tubig, papabayaan kang malunod hanggang matuto kang lumangoy."

-Roderico de Armas (Math 17)

21 comments:

  1. Your experiences are always inspiring, Gabi.

    As for the ten little pimples... I recently learned a quick remedy for those without having to purchase or go through those hassle facial vanities. Garlic! Rub it on the pimpled area. It works. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahaha my sem is almost finished! one more exam sa wednesday! bleh!;P hahahahahaha

    go gabs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, seems like you're learning so much from teaching!!! sarap naman! go ate gabi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. no! dont lose your voice! NOOOOOOOooooooo......haha. I like the absolute power thingie...are you sure u dont want to inherit it from....someone...like... a teacher of yours? haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. maybe we should inherit that absolute power! bwahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel you. Kung sana itinuro din sa atin sa college kung paano mag-cope sa trabaho...hay...

    ReplyDelete
  7. actually i did...i just choose not to use it:D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gabi! take care of your voice.. make them do reportings!!! haha. para hindi ka salita ng salita. joke :)

    natawa ako dun sa analogy ng up sa swimming. itulak ba daw sa tubig haha. pero totoo yun. talagang sa up minsan kelangan mo "malunod" para matuto :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes you've maintained quite a balance and have manifested all your passions in the process, and so on, etc, etc....but I am worried about your voice.....take care of it please

    ReplyDelete
  10. As are your blog posts, Meewa! :)

    Thanks for the garlic suggestion! Do I have to boil it or anything? :)

    Our usual pimple treatment consists of lathering on our "pimple killer" lotion... VMV Hypoallergenic's Id Gel in a darling blue bottle. :) And putting cotton balls on the affected area.

    I ended up looking like a female Santa Claus last night, let me tell you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wehehe talagang nang-inggit pa si Kim. :) Thanks!! Good luck with your remaining exams!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nyek! Haha thanks for the concern, Keith. Hehe I don't think positions of power should be inherited... I believe they should be earned. :) And whoopsie, I'm a looooong way off from taking on a position with higher levels of responsibility. Maybe in 50 years time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Mika! Ever the encouraging multiply friend :) I value your comments highly

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha oo nga e. Dapat may "Coping with Job Stress." I daresay it should be a course all unto itself.

    Kaya natin ito!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Aritz! Haha actually that's what I've resorted to. The thing is, not all of them read the assigned chapters, so I end up lecturing even if I intended not to.

    I wish I'd learn the secret to motivating students... NOW NA! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sir, thank you so much po for your concern. Yes I'm doing my very best po. :) and I think my vocal muscles are adjusting, slowly but surely

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would say that this is true. It's a great feeling to be able to make things come together eventually, with hard work. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, I have those little pimples everywhere, and two incredible giant red pimples, one of them at the middle of my nose. Am already being bugged by my friends because of it. Huhuhu

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh good, u move up positions, i gain a higher note. in 50 years well be there:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. No worries, Gabi. Christmas is fast approaching anyway. hehehe ^_^

    Uh oh, took me quite long to get back to this post. The garlic has to be raw, but I'm sure your pimples are gone by now... and I hope your throat's in tiptop shape. Enjoy your sembreak! =)

    ReplyDelete