Thursday, October 30, 2008

Of Coffee and Crushes

            I became a Starbucks coffee aficionado when, one fateful day two years ago, I was forced to buy one of their special drinks to justify parking my derriere in one of their seats. It was one of their Christmas specials, their Toffee-nut Latte. That was the beginning of a continuing love affair with that most delicious of drinks... veritable ambrosia from Olympus, I swear!

            Now I join the thousands of people who are eagerly counting down the days til Starbucks offers this year’s selection of specials. But unlike the others, who are content to order any random drink as long as they fill up their card with enough stickers to claim the much-coveted planner (which has become a status symbol, it seems), I specifically come to Starbucks for my Toffee-nut Latte.

            If I were a poet, I’d write a poem in the drink’s honor. If I were a composer, I’d have written an art song. If Bach had his Coffee Cantata, I’d come up with a Toffee-nut Latte version.

            “Toffee-nut... toffee-nut... toffee-nut latte muss ich haben!!!” to paraphrase from Lieschen’s aria.

            I love toffee-nut latte so much, I’d drink it every day if I could afford it (and if only it were available the whole year round). To tide me over for most of the year, I make do with a hazelnut latte instead. It is a poor substitute for something so delicious that it’s hard to believe it is man-made, but it’s the closest thing they’ve got to the ideal toffee-nut.

            And I thought ... perhaps falling “in crush”, and becoming infatuated with someone, is pretty much like ordering a hazelnut latte in the absence of toffee-nut. These minor affairs of the heart (and aches of the heart, if you are apt to be a silent admirer like myself) serve as preparation, as enlargement procedures, so that when we finally meet our Intended one, we can love unconditionally, unselfishly, with the breadth and depth spoken of in epic romances. Indeed, one can even go far as to say that these crushes are miniature love affairs by themselves, despite their one-sided orientation. I’ve noticed that, as I grew more mature, I came to “fall in crush” not so much because of the person’s looks, but because of other fine qualities such as kindness, intelligence, and a God-fearing nature. Hmmm... come to think of it, I got teased by those closest and dearest to me for having rather “unattractive” crushes back then! Using conventional standards of physical beauty, of course. To which I always replied with a list of their accomplishments and qualifications... usually a very comprehensive and LONG list, hehe. “Looks may fade but the qualities I hold dear will remain,” quoth I, with a matching melodramatic pose.

            And this is why I cannot condemn the young girl who always has a new “flavour of the month,” if in her girlish infatuation her heart is tutored and enlarged, if in her innocent adulation she loses most of her tomboyish ways and becomes more womanly as she discovers her femininity. Indeed, with each and every new crush, she has a clearer and better idea of the kind of man with whom she will dedicate her life to... to his happiness she will devote every waking hour, to rearing his children she will sacrifice her all.

            “To all the girls I’ve loved before... I dedicate this song,” goes a ballad by Julio Iglesias. Given the sentimental and sappy mood I’m in, I think I’d like to dedicate this blog post “to all the boys I’ve crushed on before.” J (Aside: I use the term “boys” instead of men, and I look forward to the time when I meet them again, maybe a decade or so hence, and see the fine men I’m sure they will become... glimpses of which I was fortunate enough to see, so evident in their youth.)

            Okay, enough with the “emo-ing.” Gotta go and finish off my checking. I’ve got grades to compute and submit by Tuesday.

            *turns resolutely away from the computer*

29 comments:

  1. I like the Starbucks part the best.I miss my old hangout in just a few blocks from my house where I could drink my favorite Espresso, read, read, read, and compose while gazing at the people inside, having the luxury of not being recognized (I always want to be alone)......I get back there soon....'wanna come along sometime?

    ReplyDelete
  2. sir let me guess! sa matalino st.?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think it's the quietest starbucks ive ever been to

    ReplyDelete
  4. right! so in case you see me over there, just me me a nod, then LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!!!! (just joking)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh no, i've always only liked water... what does that mean? haha... nice post, it makes me look forward to maturing more and more when it comes to crushes (and drinks!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. they don't have music? or maybe they're playing john cage!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much Nicole dear! :) Incidentally, thank you for posting consistently about the RH Bill on your blogspot account... your passion for the topic is most commendable and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sir! Sure... I'd be glad to treat you to a toffee-nut latte!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. All hail quiet Starbucks outlets! They make for great cramming/studying places. I should know, I frequented them a lot during my graduating year. :)

    But noisy Starbucks outlets are P-A-N-I-R-A

    ReplyDelete
  10. *hug* Thanks Meewa. I think I detect a kindred spirit in you. Are you a "silent admirer" as well, by any chance? :p

    ReplyDelete
  11. An agua lover? Perhaps you've never tasted toffee-nut latte before. :p
    Haha! You should try it sometime!

    And after coffee comes hard drinks... daiquiris, vodka, jack daniel's.... kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  12. yeah, i'm interested in experience toffee-nut latte (and those other drinks you mentioned? :P)

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh, i meant aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh *refreshed sigh sound*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hehehe... yes, very much rather emo-ing. :) Baka kailangan mo lang ng Toffee Nut Latte. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. great..! only, that you should allow me to be the one to treat you

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha am SO going to a Starbucks outlet when they start offering their special drinks on Nov.4 ... tatlong tulog na lang!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow it's almost december again! parang kailan lang. i remember the time we went to starbucks katipunan.haha you really are a fan of that drink hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Waaaaaaa *senti mode* Oo nga no. Haha malalim-lalim yung conversation na yun. I still remember.

    Congratulations Frankoooooow!! So proud so proud. :)

    Parang kailan lang... one year later, there are THREE Starbucks outlets in Katipunan. Next year... maybe four? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  19. you will like the starbucks here in Cebu, hahaha:D

    ReplyDelete
  20. thanks gabi! wait, are the drinks already out? peppermint mocha! woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Are they VERY different from the Starbucks in Manila?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aw sorry to disappoint. Yup they've been available since Tuesday, but peppermint mocha is no longer on the menu. There's toffee nut latte, dark cherry mocha (a new flavor), and the praline drink.

    ReplyDelete
  23. yeap, the people here dont need to ask for my name:) haha

    ReplyDelete
  24. Would "silent" by any chance, mean that everyone knows except the guy? If so... yes, I am. hahaha =P

    This is so weird, Gabi. I was just thinking of you and kept saying to myself how you must be a kindred spirit. haha I suppose you really are. =)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ahh... i love baristas' reactions when I say my name - they always double or triple-check. =P

    ReplyDelete