Monday, October 20, 2008

Separation Anxiety Part 2

I spent the past several days offline as a result of a virus that infected my precious laptop (whom I've unoriginally nicknamed "Lappy Toppy"). I survived on five-minute internet doses by begging for mercy from my siblings, who graciously let me use theirs.

I've had an eventful week!

I went to an all-expenses-paid overnight seminar in Tagaytay City for English teachers, and experienced two days of independence (which was both exhilirating and eye-opening).

I watched the Philippine Opera Company's production of MASTER CLASS, starring Cherie Gil as Maria Callas (For pictures, go to THIS page).

I met up with a friend and had a marathon four-hour catching-up session over coffee.

I read an extremely heartwarming book, Josh Grogan's "Marley & Me" (which was made into a movie already, I understand), in one sitting, and developed a bad cold as a result of the sob-fest that followed.

I panelled for two voice recitals as well as for the voice exams.

A friend told me that I'm living a full life, and indeed, I am. :)

Separate blog entries will follow, reflecting on a couple of the past week's experiences. But for now, I just want to share my joy at having my beloved Lappy Toppy back to normal (yeeees, she's A OK!), and share my excitement at the sem break that is to come starting Saturday.

Here is my sem-break to-read pile:

* Plato and a Platypus Walk Into A Bar: Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes by Thomas Cathcart and Daniel Klein

* Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis

* How I Believe by Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

* The Kreutzer Sonata by Leo Tolstoy

* Gothic Tales by Elizabeth Gaskell

* Music, The Brain, and Ecstasy: How Music Captures Our Imagination by Robert Jourdain

* Ahead of All Parting: The Selected Poetry and Prose of Rainier Maria Rilke

* The Essential Kierkegaard by Howard and Edna Hong

That's not including the German and French diction textbooks I need to peruse (wait, make that, cram into my brain) to prepare for the 2nd sem of Diction class. *gasp*

Aaaaaaaa sem break... It's so near... I can TASTE it.... (The irony of life... kung kelan ako naging teacher, saka umikli ang sem break)

14 comments:

  1. What an appetizing book list! =D
    Plato and a Platypus Walk Into A Bar sounds more enjoyable than Eco's Kant and the Platypus which left me scratching my head. haha *sheepish grin*

    Hmm... I'm sure you'll have a fruitful sembreak, Gabi! =)
    Good to hear your Lappy Toppy is back. haha Cute name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! C.S. Lewis!!!! let me know how good till we have faces is. and that book on music sounds very interesting as well.

    enjoy your sembreak ate Gabi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sem break? what is that? with all the thngs I have to do when I get back, I'll never really know what sembreak means....oh, great book list! I hope you find the time to read my book when I finish revising it....next year [?]

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooh. Marley and Me. :) That was about the Labrador, right? (unless I've gotten terribly confused.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tee hee I still haven't finished Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum" and "The Name Of The Rose..." maybe I'll get around to, this sem break. :)

    Describe Umberto Eco in one word: Nosebleed. (That's just for me, anyway, hehehehe)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha yes I will surely update you, O fellow C.S.Lewis-fan.

    Have a blessed sembreak as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow yes Sir I'd love to read your book, will definitely purchase a copy and I hope you could autograph it po :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup yup about the lab with a golden heart. Reminded me of our own family dog, Boogie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. no I'll give you one, personally; just pray that I am able to finish the revisions before Ateneo Press "kills" me.....I've started parts of it here, but in trickles;

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOOO! I've heard about TILL WE HAVE FACES for a while now! Please let me know if it's any good. I'm hankering for a good book to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, thank you Sir! I hope that your Muse gives you inspiration po, so you can finish everything. Am terribly excited to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Would be glad to lend it to you when I'm done, Ikey! :) It's not that readily available in commercial bookstores, I got mine from a secondhand bookstore in UP.

    What HAVE you heard about TILL WE HAVE FACES? I got it because of the author, I have other works of his. :)

    ReplyDelete