Saturday, June 26, 2021

Book Review: THE PHILIPPINES IS NOT A SMALL COUNTRY by Gideon Lasco

The Philippines Is Not a Small CountryThe Philippines Is Not a Small Country by Gideon Lasco
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read this beautiful little book on the sorrowful day of a former President's burial in the city where I live. Much has been written and said about the man who was the son of a hero and the first woman president of our country, but above all, we mourn because he stood for decency and the rule of law.

I think I am not alone when I say that the lack of these two essentials these past several years have somewhat dimmed (but thankfully, not yet extinguished) the flame of patriotism in several Filipinos.

That's why I'm so grateful to have read this book: a collection of articles written by physician/ medical anthropologist / journalist Gideon Lasco (he has a blog, too! http://www.gideonlasco.com ) . I have yet to encounter another book that had me tearing up at page 4 (I tear up a lot, as a book club pal noticed, hehe. It's my body's involuntary response when something touches me deeply).

Divided into chapters according to seven themes (Country and Nation are the best!), Lasco's writings offer opinions and observations well worth reading for their mix of academic learning and lived experience. I appreciate how he writes very simply, how he's able to connect complex concepts to every day realities that I've stopped paying to, while pointing out their historical and cultural significance.

Apart from making his readers learn more about their country and culture, reading Lasco's book is like ingesting a match to set aflame all patriots' hearts once again. I know that's why I wept at page 4:

"Every country, like every person, has a dark side, and we must accept the inconvenient truths about our nation, and be willing to make the sacrifices they require of us. But they should never lead us to frustration, not just because of the brighter side that we sometime refuse to see, but also because we can always do something to make our country a better place.

The power of hope lies in its ability to help fulfill its own promise... When you see hope in our government, you will be encouraged to vote. And when you see hope in our country, you will be encouraged to stay."

Now multiply that love and learning by 228 pages and you get this little gem: THE PHILIPPINES IS NOT A SMALL COUNTRY.

Lasco's words bring light and hope. I am reminded that we are many, we who choose to love our Inang Bayan, despite everything. I am reminded to put my hope in my countrymen, to see the good along with the bad. I learn from looking at our country through Lasco's loving gaze: unafraid to point out what needs to be changed ("We are who we are because we forget.") yet always, always with faith that we as a people can do better.

Leaders come and go. We will remain. And yes, in the words of Lasco: "I know enough of the Filipino people to say that we are capable of weathering any storm."

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment