Thursday, June 3, 2021

Book Review: INFLUENCE: THE PSYCHOLOGY OF PERSUASION by Robert Cialdini

Influence: The Psychology of PersuasionInfluence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert B. Cialdini
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

My interest was piqued when I overheard my brother listening to a podcast that featured the author, Dr. Cialdini, whose book apparently became the bible of salesmen for the past several decades. The book enumerates six strategies employed by "compliance professionals" in order to persuade people to buy or do something they ordinarily wouldn't.

Turned out Le Brother had a copy, hurray! It was an interesting read, primarily because I've had almost all the techniques mentioned performed on me, hehe. And also because Cialdini mentions the research behind these interesting quirks of human behavior, which is wonderful for me as a Research teacher! God bless footnotes.

Perhaps the only drawback to this book is that it's dated. It was written in 1984, after all. I'm looking forward to reading his next book, which was published in 2016.

This is an interesting read for anyone who's ever been on the receiving end of a particularly effective sales pitch (and that's everybody!!!).

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment