Sunday, December 16, 2018

Book Review: THE PENELOPIAD by Margaret Atwood

The PenelopiadThe Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


One-sentence summary?
"It is Atwood's re-telling of the ODYSSEY through the mouths of Penelope and the twelve so-called unfaithful maidens."

Now for the I-tried-to-keep-it-concise rave:

Oh WOW! This book (and feminist re-tellings of epics written by dead guys) is why I have trust issues. Atwood takes such a familiar tale and totally subverts it. Penelope may have been the best of wives... But what if she was the worst, by men's standards?

Every book has a chapter or two that is its golden core, its very heart, and for this book, it is certainly the 24th chapter (The Chorus Line: An Anthropology Lecture)... It is UNFORGETTABLE in terms of its mind blowing powers. My gosh!!! If you ever pick up a copy of this in the bookstore and are lacking in time and/or money and can only read one chapter, let it be Chapter 24. Do it. Your life will never be the same. I know mine isn't.

Grateful for stories like this one, that make me realize just how much of what I know and take to be gospel are stories told by men. There are many truths, and our world is richer for having both men and women share their sides.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment