Friday, October 19, 2007

The past week...

This past week has been one big blur of activity and momentous, life-changing events.

How is it possible that one's life can change so much in the span of a few days?

Truly, God is great!

~ ~ ~

Congratulations to everyone who had their recital this week! Namely: Feona Turalde (her 3rd), Aizel "Twinkle" Prietos(1st), Kimberly Kwok (1st), Jeong Hwa (1st), Shaddai Solidum (1st), and Kuya Ervin Lumauag (1st). Oh, and Franco Maigue (his 2nd)! Yay! We can eat ice cream now and stay in airconditioned rooms all day long if we wanted!

~ ~ ~

From J. Brahms' Romanzen aus Magelone, Op. 33:

SIND ES SCHMERZEN, SIND ES FREUDEN (Are they sorrows or are they joys)

Are they sorrows or are they joys

Which tug at my breast?

All the old desires leave;

A thousand new floors bloom.

Through the dusk of tears

I see suns standing in the distance,

What languishing, what longing!

Do I dare? Shall I move closer?

Ah, and when my tears are falling,

It is dark around me;

Yet if my desires do not return,

The future is empty of hope.

So beat then, my ambitious heart,

So flow down then, my tears,

Ah, joy is only a deeper pain,

Life is a dark grave,

Without guilt,

Should I then suffer?

How is it that in my dreams

All my thoughts

Tremble up and down?

I scarcely know myself anymore.

O, hear me, kindly stars,

O, hear me, green meadow,

And you, my love, hear my holy oath:

If I remain far from Him,*

I will die gladly.

Ah, only in the light of His* gaze

Dwell life and hope and happiness!

 

* I changed the gender

8 comments:

  1. yeah! how is it possible to change a life in a few days? wow... i'd like to experience that! do you recommend it? :)

    wow, what touching lyrics! thanks for sharing that... i must keep a copy of these lyrics. i'd love to have a mind that could write verses like that

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it IS possible. :) Anything is possible, with God's grace.

    Aren't the lyrics beautiful? :) Imagine how they sounded when Kuya Ervin sang them (auf Deutsche)! This was from the 15-song-cycle that he sang a while ago, in his 1st recital. All the 15 songs had exquisite lyrics.

    Kuya's recital was held in the mini-hall, and let me tell you, it was S.R.O!!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. what's sro?

    oo nga noh, with man it's impossible, but not if God's with him. waaah, i needed that reminder.

    did brahms write the lyrics?

    ReplyDelete
  4. S.R.O. = Standing Room Only. :)

    According to Ze Program Notes:

    The poems were taken from a certain Ludwig Tieck's novella, THE WONDROUS LOVE STORY OF THE BEAUTIFUL MAGELONE AND COUNT PETER OF PROVENCE, "a medieval tale filled with adventure."

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha, the titles they had before, so fancy! :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, God is really great! Gabi, hanggang ngayon naiiyak pa rin ako sa tuwa. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys all did so well! I'm so proud to call you guys friends. Congrats again. :)

    ReplyDelete