Saturday, October 13, 2007

STARDUST : A Classic Fairy Tale

I don't understand why STAR DUST received low ratings from critics. I guess it's because it was based on a book... ever notice how fans of the book will always give the movie a low grade because the movie is NEVER 100% faithful to the book?

I love the movie. I love, love, LOVE it so much, I want to watch it again!!?! Call me shallow, uncritical... whatever you want. I'm not a picky movie-goer. I watch movies to be entertained. And STAR DUST certainly more than does the job.

I left the movie on a musical high (all hail ILAN ESHKERI !!! the new demi-god of soundtrack compositions). True, the movie was good on its own... with the fantastic special effects and the great plot. But, I've said this and I say it again: THE MUSIC MAKES THE FILM.

Can you imagine the TITANIC without James Horner's music? Without MY HEART WILL GO ON?

Didn't think so. ;-)

Back to topic. I left the cinema on a musical high, but also filled with such happiness and optimism. I believe in L.O.V.E! The glistening, rainbow-covered, pink aura surrounding the idea of it. Of candle-lit dinners and a romantic violin concerto playing in the background. Of the hero taking a bullet meant for his beloved and dying gladly in her place. Of soulful eye-gazing and hand-holding, underneath a starry sky and surrounded with all of Mother Nature's glory.

It's nice to believe in an idea. Idealism tempered with realism is the best mix, I think.

~ ~ ~

Funny how my favorite love song is also the most beautiful sacred song I've ever heard.

Then again, God's love for us IS the best romance story ever told.

PANUNUMPA

Ikaw lamang ang pangakong mahalin

Sa sumpang sa'yo magpakailan pa man

Yakapin mon'g bawat sandali,

Ang buhay kong sumpang sa'yo lamang alay,

At mapapawi ang takot sa 'kin

Pangakong walang hanggan

Ikaw lamang ang pangakong susundin

Sa takbo sakdal, liwanagan ang daan

Yakapin mong bawat sandali,

Ang buhay kong sumpang sa'yo lamang alay

At mapapawi ang takot sa 'kin

'Pagkat taglay lakas mong angkin

Ikaw ang siyang pag-ibig ko

Asahan mo ang katapatan ko

Kahit ang puso ko'y nalulumbay,

Mananatiling ikaw pa rin...

At mapapawi ang takot sa 'kin

Pagkat taglay lakas mong angkin

8 comments:

  1. hi ate gabi. ganda ng stardust!!! <3 haha wala lang.:p

    ReplyDelete
  2. waaah, did you just give away the ending? oh well, its ok, im not planning to go to the movies. :)

    btw, whats your favorite soundtrack?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Don't worry, Mika, that wasn't the ending. WATCH IT WATCH IT WATCH IT!!

    Whew! Ang dami kong gustong OST! Off the top of my head... I really love Hans Zimmer's work in GLADIATOR. There's also James Horner... his LEGENDS OF THE FALL music is simply breathtaking. And TITANIC was also splendid. Also BRAVEHEART!!

    And LORD OF THE RINGS, of course.

    What's YOUR favorite soundtrack? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww, my parents and little sister are watching it right now... i decided to stay home and practice. i ended up using the internet. hahaha

    my favorite OST? hmmm, theyre from really old movies ha. :P
    i love the OST of Vertigo (1958), The Third Man (1949), The Godfather 1 and 2, City Lights (1931, Charlie Chaplin was the director, actor, and composer for the movie! multi-talented!)... i love old movies, hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooh... I haven't seen/heard any of those yet, well, except for The Godfather 1 & 2. Ang ganda nga naman ng music ni Nino Rota... he co-wrote the song "What is A Youth" from Zeffirelli's version of ROMEO AND JULIET (yet another lovely OST).

    ReplyDelete
  6. pahabol... another favorite: the OST of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, and Once Upon a Time in the West, both by Ennio Morricone

    ReplyDelete
  7. waaah!!! i love that soundtrack too! nina rota's one of my favorite film composers. even before the Godfather, he mades really catchy soundtracks for italian films. :)

    ReplyDelete