Saturday, November 7, 2020

Book Review: A TORCH AGAINST THE NIGHT (An Ember In The Ashes Book # 2)

A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes, #2)A Torch Against the Night by Sabaa Tahir
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

"So long as you fight the darkness, you stand in the light."

I loved that line from the novel... made extra special because I read this book the same weekend that Biden won the US elections. :)

Imagine a fantasy world where a Rome-like empire tries to maintain control over a Middle Eastern-inspired people called The Scholars. One of its sons falls in love with a daughter from the other side. Romeo and Juliet meets The Gladiator, and 1001 Arabian Nights, but with a dash of Game of Thrones' politicking and backstabbing. Oh, and don't forget to add a superhuman, godlike being out to destroy basically all of mankind.

The second book in the series is waaaaay better than the first! Sabaa Tahir has such a gift for plot! The twists I never saw coming, the vile betrayal leaves one gasping! And the romance... hihihi.... makes one giggle like a school girl. Love triangles are trope-y and one can't find a YA novel without this key element... but Tahir makes it fresh and "kilig" and I AM ONE HAPPY CUSTOMER.

This book went down easily on a Sunday afternoon, the sort of weekend treat you savor over two cups of coffee and you finish immediately because it grabs you from page 1 and doesn't let up!!

It's soooooo good, I ordered Book 3 when I was in the middle of it. And now I can't wait to see what becomes of these characters!

I also like that Book 2 explained the titles of both books thus far. I can't wait to find out who "The Reaper At The Gates" is, although I have a suspect in mind.

"Most people are nothing but glimmers in the great darkness of time. But you... you are no swift-burning spark. You are a torch against the night -- if you dare to let yourself burn."

(Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5, rounded up!)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment