Thursday, July 16, 2020

Graphic Novel Review: "THE ONE HUNDRED NIGHTS OF HERO" by Isabel Greenberg

The One Hundred Nights of HeroThe One Hundred Nights of Hero by Isabel Greenberg

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


It's an interesting graphic novel! While it didn't rock my world, the images were charmingly rendered, and the stories easy to read. This is the first time I've read a graphic novel that featured two women as lovers.

I was particularly touched by "A Very Honest Harp," which ends with this Lesson: "Men are false. And they can get away with it. Also, don't murder your sister, even by accident. Sisters are important."

I think that last sentence sums up this graphic novel pretty well: feminist story telling, mixing fairy tale language and tongue-in-cheek modernity.

I suppose that's also my problem with the book... I would start to get carried away by certain lyrical passages, then suddenly I'd be jolted rudely awake by a certain modern phrase. This inconsistency with tone was distracting and prevented me from becoming fully immersed in another world, because I kept being reminded at how "modern" this all is, despite the familiar echoes of old tropes.

But that's just me. Perhaps others would find this author's brand of humor and wit more to their taste.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment