Sunday, July 19, 2020

Book Review: EUPHORIA by Lily King

EuphoriaEuphoria by Lily King

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


"And all the while I am aware of a larger despair... who are we and where are we going? Why are we, with all our "progress," so limited in understanding and sympathy and the ability to give each other real freedom?"

I jumped into this novel without knowing anything about anthropology, nor Margaret Mead and her fellow love-triangle members, Reo Fortune and Gregory Bateson.

After ending the book, I feel that if I could re-live my college life, I'd probably apply for Anthropology as a college degree! And YES, THAT'S HOW AMAZING THIS BOOK IS.

Upon opening the book, there were SIX PAGES of glowing recommendations from various authors and publications! And I can tell you right now, the hype is well-deserved.

This book brought me to the Sepik River in Papua New Guinea in the 1930s, with its many tribes, many cultures, and for a few hours I was an invisible spectator to the lives of the three Western anthropologists who studied the people there, trying to find "somewhere on earth (where) there was a better way to live." 

Lily King's writing is RICH. In a word, that's what this book is. It's rich in ideas and actions, emotions and conflict. It makes the reader feel small, in a good way, emphasizing how we look at the world through the lens of ONE culture, one upbringing, and makes us realize that there are so many other equally valid cultures and beliefs. 

"If I didn't believe they shared my humanity entirely, I wouldn't be here."  

This book is an important one. In a time where people of the same country are so divided... books that emphasize our common humanity, that let us walk a mile in other people's shoes, are badly needed.

How fitting to read this book a day before SY 2020 begins!! This is why it's so important to continue the cause of education. We pray that our children will become better than us, more loving, more forgiving. It takes a village, a country. And in our children's success we can all find a common cause, one that goes beyond politics and religion.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment