Thursday, October 31, 2019

Book Review: WAR : TALES OF CONFLICT AND STRIFE by Roald Dahl

War: Tales of Conflict and StrifeWar: Tales of Conflict and Strife by Roald Dahl

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


“I know that I am not a coward. I am certain of that. I will always keep going… and although I am so frightened that I can hardly think, yet I am going on to do this thing. There was never any question of not going or of turning back. I would rather die than turn back.”

Now THIS is, quite simply, excellent story telling! I'd always known Roald Dahl was a fighter pilot in the War, but I didn’t know of the details of his extraordinary adventures… until now. To me, they are far more amazing than the fantastic tales he wrote for children!

This volume contains his autobiographical novella, GOING SOLO, as well as seven short stories. They're all about his experiences during the War, and all are masterfully written, but the novella and the stories are completely different in tone. The novella is very optimistic and cheerful, while the stories are darker, more sinister… and one of them in particular struck me as being very timely for Halloween. “They Shall Not Grow Old” sent chills up and down my spine with the tale of a fellow fighter pilot who disappears for two days and comes back, reporting that he had been with “the pilots and air crews who had been killed in battle, who now, in their own aircraft were making their last flight, their last journey.”

No fictional glass elevator, no imaginary chocolate factory can compare with this amazing book, which leaves the reader grateful to live in a time of peace, with greater appreciation of the many blessings living in peacetime gives:

“All the things I want to do and all the things I want to see… like going home sometimes. Like walking through a wood. Like pouring a drink from a bottle. Like looking forward to weekends and like being alive every hour every day every year for fifty years.”

Penguin Books released seven other collections of Roald Dahl’s works (Lust, Madness, Cruelty, Deception, Trickery, Innocence, and Fear), and I can’t wait to get my hands on the rest!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment