Sunday, October 6, 2019

Book Review: THE STATE OF WONDER by Ann Patchett

State of WonderState of Wonder by Ann Patchett

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


“She found a village of people in the Amazon where the women go on bearing children until the end of their lives.”

And thus began the premise of this remarkable novel, one which can be read as commentary on the struggle between ethics and capitalist priorities of pharmaceutical companies, as well as the morality of childbirth and medicine, the intimate relationship between teacher and student, the consequences of our actions and the definition of motherhood.

Deeply philosophical and yet written in flowing prose that brought the jungle to life, this novel sucked me in and didn’t let go until I finished it after consuming two gigantic mugs of chocolate latte and genmaicha.

Rated this book three stars out of five because I didn’t like the ending, it was too painful! My heart still aches! And it leaves the reader asking so many questions.

But yes, Ann Patchett is a goddess with a pen. And I need to read her other works!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment