Monday, September 1, 2008

Separation Anxiety

Our Internet server has been down the whole weekend (read: Friday evening, the whole of Saturday and Sunday), and you can't imagine the amount of distress it caused our household.

We all suffered separation anxiety, in varying degrees. I was lucky, I had the piano and my books to comfort me. I spent more than two hours Friday evening playing the piano and singing my old pieces (take note, I'd just come from three and a half hours of teaching at CMu!), which made me realize just how much I love Music. I never get tired of doing it, in fact the more I do it the less tired I get. :)

It was both a liberating and stressful experience... liberating in the sense that I rediscovered the simple joys of generations past. There ARE so many more worthwhile things to do. But I am a true product of my technology-savvy generation, and felt anxious about the fact that I could not update myself on the happenings in my friends' lives through bloghopping.

~ ~ ~
I have a new definition of irony.

Irony is lugging one's laptop all the way to a cafe in Makati, buying outrageously priced coffee and even more scandalously priced wi-fi (P100 an hour!!! *gasp*), and getting all of five minutes of Internet when a storm hits and effectively screws up the connection.

Hehe. That's what happened to my siblings and I. We couldn't transfer to another place because we'd be drenched if we did, so we ended up doing "the sibling bonding" over coffee, and actually enjoyed ourselves despite the initial irritation.

Being able to shrug off the unchangeable and philosophically sigh, "Oh well, that's life," is a huge part of learning how to live life. And I learned that, this weekend.
~ ~ ~

When all is said and done, I'm still so glad that the Internet's back :)

6 comments:

  1. our connection was worse. it went off a whole week, and two times the technical people went here to fix our antenna and box equipment. two times!! tpos naayos na nga, paglipas lng ng ilang oras, down na naman ang connection! feeling mo tuloy pinaglalaruan ka nila. hay naku

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha and i thought we had it bad.

    breaking news: nawala ulit yung internet after 1 day na meron. Grrrrrrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how come my uncle's internet in hillsborough is really bad? hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. gabi free wi-fi sa burger king. at mas mura pa kape. hahahaha

    ReplyDelete