Saturday, August 23, 2008

My body's telling me something...

I think I've been working too hard lately. My body sent me a hard-to-ignore message when it forcibly shut down last Thursday night, and I woke up Friday morning with a high temperature, a killer headache, and feeling weak as a newborn puppy.

Spent the whole of Friday resting in bed and drowning myself in medication, and I was able to go work yesterday, so, hurray! Except that I now have to spend the long weekend catching up on work. I finished checking test papers yesterday, and today I spent the whole morning inputting the grades for three of my major classes (English 3, English II and English III), and methinks I look like I've got sore eyes. The last time I worked with Excel was waaaay back in high school, so it was an uphill battle for me to type in all the scores of my students. Music 1,2,3 to go.

My M.A. life is in shambles. Haha! Don't tell my profs, but I honestly don't have the time to study for class, and it's a miracle that I got a good grade in our Stat midterms when I squeezed in my cramming time in between meals and checking papers.

I have 10 papers to write, and the deadline is Sept.20.

Papers writen? Zero.

Oh noes.

Concerned friends of mine have been telling me to take it easy, to make time for "rest." And I think... they're right.

Hay. Here's hoping that the 2nd semester of A.Y. '08-'09 will be easier. I desperately want to have time to exercise, I think the reason why my body's prone to illness lately is because I haven't worked out since May.

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy," said my favorite cinema lawyer in Legally Blonde. Which might also explain why I've been feeling melancholy as well.

Drat. I really need to get some exercise. Now na.

Okay, shallow and petty ranting done. :)

If you have 20 minutes to spare, I strongly urge you to watch this video of conductor Benjamin Zander on TED.COM. I think watching it is one of the reasons why I was able to recover so quickly from the flu :)

"I have a definition of success. For me it's not about wealth or fame or power. It's all about how many shining eyes I've got around me."

26 comments:

  1. ako din... gusto ko matuto mag excel para sa grade computation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I can e-mail you a sample template if you like :)

    Excel is a teacher's best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very right! :D Hope you're okay now, Gabi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mismo.. kwentuhan tayo uli minsan!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. if i was in your place id be dead by now. oh well, as long as youre happy gab:) as long as youre happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice closing quote. =)

    Take care of yourself, Gabi!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't push yourself too hard gabz... sometimes it's better to rest for a while if you feel tired than going on and ending up being sick. in the end, being sick takes away more time from working or studying than if in the first place you listened to your body when it was telling you that you needed to rest. besides, you're so bright that you can just wing it in class even if you didn't spend hours preparing for it =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. get well soon ms.gab.... sana po makapasok na kau....lesson po sa A.P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Abby! :) Yes, I'm better now, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Surely you exagerate, Keith. :) Yes, I AM happy... now if only I had more rest days, life couldn't get peachier.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yessir! :) Thanks so much, Meewa!

    P.S. I saw that you left a comment on the bangle site's guestbook. What darling accessories!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totoo, tama ka Aritz. (sigh) To think that I could be having an official vacation right now, had I gone to work on Friday as scheduled... instead of making up for what I missed.

    Oh well.

    Haha ... I don't agree with your description of me in the last sentence... but thanks for the vote of confidence! Enjoy the long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Lizanne! Yes, I'll be back Tuesday. Don't forget to read the papers/ listen to the news!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gabi, thanks very much for the link!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. im glad i checked-out the video. INSPIRING.

    "everybody likes classical music. they just haven't found out about it yet." :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i hope things lighten up for you soon. it's tiring just thinking about all you're doing. good thing though you got well really quickly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're welcome!! :) Mabuhay ang "one-buttock" piano playing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kuya Cholo! Feon! Thanks... yes, nakapahinga naman ako, long weekends are such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hehe it's the perfect cure for those 3rd year/4th year Music majors feeling sick and tired of their course.

    What I love is that the message of the video isn't just about music... but about life in general. It's inspiring for EVERYBODY.

    ReplyDelete
  20. book session will cure you of all your ills!!! XD

    ReplyDelete
  21. gabs!!!! go for the 10 papers!!!!!:D

    ReplyDelete
  22. so true! wonder if we could bottle it and sell it? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hahaha thanks Bogz!! ;) hehe I did three already, so 7 more to go

    ReplyDelete