Saturday, September 20, 2008

All In A Day's Work

Whenever my dark materialistic dopelganger threatens to get the better of me, all I have to do is look at the children around me and I feel all warm and content in the knowledge that I am safely where I am supposed to be, at this particular stage in my life. :)

~ ~ ~

Everyone has "off" days... when your coffee turns out poorly, when your uniform feels like it shrank two sizes due to an extra serving of dessert the previous evening... when nothing seems to be going the way it should be.

But then there are those days when you feel the worth... no, the BEAUTY of what you're doing, of what you're part of.

I had one such a day last week. :)

True, the start of the day was not an auspicious one. Two high school boys got into a fisticuff bout, I had to step in and physically separate them. Thankfully, I got to do it before either got more than minor bruises. My Asian Civ.class time was eaten up by the consequential investigation and sorting out by the principal. My heart ached for the two boys.

Then, during my Grade 2 Music class, one of my little girls fainted! Luckily she was a slender, tiny thing. She fell slowly and gracefully, like an elven princess, so we were able to catch her before she hit her head on the floor. I thanked the Heavens for my macho, unfeminine arms as I carried her slight frame to the infirmary. (Turned out she had chicken for lunch and suffered an allergic reaction. Thankfully, she's fine now)

All these sources of additional stress, aside from the usual stress brought about by my normal work load, disappeared in the face of a beautiful twenty minutes worth of Playground Duty.

All of the teachers in RMM have Playground Duty. We go out, rain or shine, and stand guard over the little children as they run around, a preventive approach to accidents... guardian angels in uniform, except without haloes and wings. :)

Two little boys (let's call them S and D) from my CASA (kindergarten) class have been my "teachers in patience" these past several weeks. They run around and refuse to stand still for one minute, no matter how often they're told, and as I try not to use my voice any more than is necessary, I often resort to running after them instead of shouting at them. They've been helping me practice my "patience muscle," as a wise friend put it.

Anyway, S and D were fascinated by a chess game they observed between some fourth graders. S ran up to me and said, "Teacher Gabi, gusto ko mag-chess!"

"Bakit? Marunong ka na ba?" I asked, to which he confidently replied, "Oo!"

So I guided him to the office, and showed him where to sign his name in the Chess Set Log Book and how to write the time and the number of the chess board. I had a suspicion that he didn't really know how to play, and I was right. But I was more than happy to teach S, and his other naughty playmate D.

They were so absorbed in the chess lesson, they didn't run nor skip the whole playtime before class, and came in the room with dry shirts (a near miracle! Especially with such energetic boys like S and D).

I have seen fewer more beautiful sights than that of two little boys, with their faces rapt in attention, while older children gathered around them and took over my role as chess instructor. Some sixth graders came along, and two of them appointed themselves as the little ones' teachers. "Turuan mo si S! Ako magtuturo kay D!" said one sixth grade girl excitedly.

Hmmm... maybe one of them will grow up to be the next Filipino grandmaster! :)

For the next two days, S and D barged in the office as soon as they got off the school bus, and borrowed a chess set. And I'm willing to bet this will go on for a long time. It seems a fire has been lit. And who says that 5 years old is too young to start learning how to play chess? ;)

All in a day's work. I can't wait to be witness to more fires being lit next week, to bear witness to the blossoming of a thirst for knowledge that is every educator's dream to inspire in one's students. :)

There will be more off days, but with golden moments like these to hold on to, how can one ever tire of teaching?

13 comments:

  1. wow chessmasters in the making! hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. kakatuwa!!!!! sometimes kids can be so hard to control, but beneath all their energy is that child-like curiosity. it's so delightful to see them being curious and being fascinated! kakatuwa :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww... reminds me of a little student who complained that she wasn't able to practice because their piano keys got stuck due to her sister's booger. Hahaha... Hayyy...

    But they grow up too quickly, don't they? One can only look back fondly at the "golden moments" and hope for more. As for you, Gabi, I know you'll definitely look back at these kinds of moments and be fulfilled simply because you cared enough for them. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is a joy to be around little kids. I pray that I may never reach the point when I get tired of being around them (what kind of person would that make me, then?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Whenever my dark materialistic dopelganger threatens to get the better of me..."

    WEH. I AM SO NOT DARK. MATERIALISTIC, YES. BUT NOT DARK. :)) ahahaha labo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amusement won out over revulsion at the dear little thing's piano predicament. :) Haha, kids really never cease to surprise us.

    I do love children, but sometimes (usually during the worst of the "off" days) I'm plagued by dark feelings that may not necessarily show in the outside, but I feel their numbing effect on my spirit and I dislike myself intensely for it. And on those days I am filled with doubt about my own capacity for loving these children. I am in awe of my fellow teachers who are veterans, who have been teaching these children for decades. Theirs is the vast loving heart that I someday hope to have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahahaha! Well, my physical dopelganger, I was actually referring to my spiritual dark half...

    You, dear Double, are lightness and grace. :) *hug* I looooove you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup, that's actually just the right age. Those two students of yours just got into it at the perfect time. My brother's son started out with chess training when he was six, and he's doing very well now at 12.

    Napaka well-rounded mo naman, Gabi. You really excel in everything - acads, music, sports... Need I say more?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Waaaa Kim you flatter me overmuch. *blush*

    Siguro payag ako na well-rounded ako... physique-wise :D haha I'm gaining so much weight from all the birthday party food (read: spaghetti, fried chicken, ice cream and cake) we teachers get to eat. We average two birthday parties a week where I work, haha, forget the diet talaga! :)

    Kakatuwa naman about your brother's son. My own little brother learned chess from our dad when he was six years old as well. I enjoyed playing with him until he beat me with the "check-in-four-moves" strategy he learned from a chess book, when he was in grade 2. I refused to play chess with him after that, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, I'm glad the 'forms and analysis' "pupils" don't celebrate their birthdays in class; they celebrate passing grades instead; come to think of it, I used to put a stamp on their foreheads when they gave the right answer...was this your batch Gabi?

    ReplyDelete
  11. A stamp? Haha nothing lewd, I hope :D no Sir this wasn't our batch... baka yung sumunod. ooooh we were lucky to escape with our foreheads intact!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. well, no more chicken for that little thing:)

    ReplyDelete