Wednesday, April 30, 2008

On Joining the Work Force

Next Monday I shall start working in my grade school alma mater, a lovely lovely school (albeit not a very big one) down South, called Regina Maria Montessori.

Actually, I was considered employed starting mid-April, when the school paid for my taking the two-week intensive Kodaly Summer Course. Yesterday being pay-day, I received my first paycheck, and promptly spent a considerable amount on the following: Starbucks Hazelnut Latte, Starbucks Oreo Cheesecake, a haircut (FINALLY! I've been dying of heat but had promised Mama not to cut my hair til after Univ.Grad, so she could fix it into a nice bun), and two pretty teacher-ish blouses. Haha! So much for not succumbing to the call of materialism. :)

I think I shall do more "succumbing" today, haha, my twin and I are going out with an old friend whom we only get to see twice a year, roughly, and we're going to meet in Serendra! *excited* I've only been to Fully Booked store, and there are so many! Hopefully I can exercise self-restraint and still have enough from my paycheck at the end of the gimmick to tide me over til the next payday.

~ ~ ~

I spent the past few days taking care of my papers for university clearance and getting the necessary documents for joining the work force.

I thought the UP enrollment pila was long.

Until I entered the NSO along East Ave.

And spent a whole afternoon getting my NBI Clearance at QC Hall.

Welcome to the real world, indeed! :)

~ ~ ~

Now I have an inkling of what CW majors (such as my twin) go through in every CW class.

For the first time in my life, I wrote something actually worth reading, something I could be proud of.

And now I know how it feels to have your work lambasted, insulted, spit upon... (see this page).

Oh well. You can't please everyone in the world.

Happy Labor Day, everyone!

24 comments:

  1. And now I know how it feels to have your work lambasted, insulted, spit upon...

    Artists have to develop a thick skin and fight for their art :) chin up, Gabi. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Oh well. You can't please everyone in the world."

    I read your speech and you're right, you can't please everybody. But I for one am on your side, and am glad you have articulated that alternative viewpoint.

    That was very brave. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry, it happens every year with every graduation speech.

    You can't please everyone nga.

    Congratulations, Gabi! And good luck with the new job, may you continue to inspire!

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats gabi on your new job! it's nice you opted to teach, the country needs more teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow exciting! hehe. I'm sure you'll enjoy working. it's been good to me so far.

    ...and don't worry too much about the criticism. the speech reflects what you believe in, and you expressed your views well. let them disagree with you, they have their own opinions. you can't change your opinions to please others.

    You can actually take their backlash as a compliment--they disagreed with you and yet they listened AND they searched for your speech in the web just to be able to air their views (to vent?). :D They took the time to argue.... Who knows how busy these people are?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was to be expected. They did the same thing to Mikaela Fudolig's speech last year. Basically I just didn't like the fact that a huge bulk of the comments were anonymous. Sana they had as much guts as their comments implied, he he.

    But just as several people have commented, thank you for representing the other kind of UP students. Hindi rin naman kasi posible na lahat ng isko pare-pareho ang paniniwala, despite the stereotype. I personally think you did a good job =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, I expected you would get this kind of reaction from some people. Yours was a very courageous move. If you think about it, their reactions merely implied that your speech has struck a chord, that it affected people. Exactly what it was meant to do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, you're working right away! God bless on this new chapter in your life. i know you'll be a blessing to your students.

    yup, you can't please everybody (you can't displease everybody either). haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi gabi...
    that's great hearing about you getting into teaching this early. nothing beats the feeling of seeing others benefit from your efforts to make this world a better place.
    just make sure you won't be missing out on other opportunities that may come your way. working with you in IMPRESARIO has certainly made quite an impression, and i believe that you have what it takes to be a true blue opera singer, home grown and developed here in our country.
    maraming umaalis sa pilipinas believing that opera has no future here, and the only opportunity for performing singers here is to be given the 'seal of approval' by other schools in other countries.
    i have to disagree with that, and it takes people like you who can actually make that true (as contrasted to our kind--the 'harangistas' who may have the right connections to set up all these shows but who unfortunately lack the academic integrity to pursue them in the halls of art) .
    if one finds ways for performing arts to be what it should be, then the truth of the matter is:
    opera and the performing arts need people like you.
    just think about it.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Bianca. Now I know why you writers are "tough," you have to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Ate Dea. I guess the best thing to do is simply ignore and continue living my life according to the principles I believe in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Nicole! Hmmm... oo nga no... it really depends on how we look at the situation. ;)

    " *fluttered* "

    ReplyDelete
  13. gabi! bahala sila sa mga buhay nila! the thing is, you survived the "music major ordeal" (of continuing to be a musician in this kind of society) and will continue to survive despite the social pressures of being a musician and a music educator! go lng!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ako rin! That's one of the things I like about multiply, you have to identify yourself if you want to comment.

    Thank you Cat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Marian! It was nice seeing you kanina in Petron! :) Good luck with your MA!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Christian... pahingi naman ng gutsiness mo diyan, o. :) Via osmosis.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Mika, hehe, nakakatuwa na may nagcomment din among those whom I managed not to displease. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you Kuya Raymond!! Yes, I intend to continue singing, even as I teach :) I can't live without it!!! I hope to be able to sing with you again, in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Waaaa Bogz thanks for your unfailing support ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. very good speech! shame to those who disagreed... i dont think it should be offensive to anybody...

    ReplyDelete
  21. how did you and marian get to know each other? she was one of my most wonderful friends in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Kim! We met during the speech "auditions," nakakatuwa naman! What a small world. :)

    ReplyDelete