Saturday, April 19, 2008

Monna Innominata

An Excerpt from Monna Innominata: A Sonnet of Sonnets

by Christina Georgina Rossetti

(1830-1894)

 

"Trust me, I have not earned your dear rebuke,
I love, as you would have me, God the most.
Would lose not him, but you, must one be lost,
Nor with Lot's wife cast back a faithless look
Unready to forego what I forsook.
This say I, having counted up the cost;
This, though 't be the feeblest of God's host,
The sorriest sheep Christ shepherds with his crook,
Yet, while I love my God the most, I deem
That I can never love you over much:
I love Him more, so let me love you too;
Yea, as I apprehend it, love is such
I cannot love you if I love not Him,
I cannot love Him if I love not you."

 

Beautiful!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. It is, indeed. Thank you for sharing this, Gabi. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. reminds me of something C.S. Lewis said (if I remember correctly), he said something like "we can only learn to love others when we learn to love God." was Rossetti a Christian?

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) My pleasure! Glad you liked it, Meewa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, she was a Christian :) Her poems are so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really? Oooh... I thought she always made depressing poems. Maybe I was thinking of someone else.

    ReplyDelete