Thursday, February 21, 2008

On being a "girly" girl

I was never a 'girly' girl. Papa believed that his daughters should be exposed to the same things as his son. Instead of pink tutu's and ballet slippers, my sister and I had martial arts and competitive swimming. And instead of caring for the fairness of our complexion, my twin and I spent the better part of our lives a dark brown chocolate-y color from all those hours in the pool (sunlight + chlorine = a skin whitening regimen nightmare).

I'm feeling the effects of an unconventional upbringing now. You see, my role in the upcoming opera is that of a vivacious coquette. The way it's being blocked, I do a lot of seductive poses and flirtatious walking. Ideally, that is. My problem is, I'm way too clumsy and uncoordinated. I got told off by our director for moving like a guy. Heck, even gays are more feminine than I! Or so I was told.

It's so bad, I was expressly told to wear a skirt and was forbidden to wear rubber shoes during our rehearsals. Hopefully, it will help me move in a more feminine manner.

I wore a long blue one today, and discovered that wearing a simple skirt can have big effects. For example, I had an easier time crossing the street. Cars actually stop and allow me the right of way in the pedestrian lanes. It's all the more surprising since I'm used to playing cat-and-mouse with vehicles when I'm in my usual get-up (polo, jeans and sneakers). SKIRT POWER!!!

Hehe. Will work on this post another time. I shall be wearing skirts more often, that's for sure. At least until my recital's over.

(tries best to sashay off)

25 comments:

  1. omg gabi hahahahahaha.....parang pareho tayo...whee!!! although in my case i chose not to be like most girls......HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and....best of luck in your upcoming recital.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't worry. gays are more feminine and flamboyant than even the "girliest" of girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ei, looking forward to seeing you and tata soon.. be sure to wear a skirt... hehehe!!! mwahhuggs... :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. you wanna take ballet lessons with me? i heard its almost required for opera, no kidding

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha.. count me OuT! hahaha.. well, i may be loud but i'm not too femme--oops..defensive..haha

    anyway, Gabi dear, one thing's for sure, you are one of the most natural women i ever met in my life =) i know that's only a role but just be sure after that, you'll stay the same as you are right now - that's the main reason why a lot of people loooove you.

    but for now.. sabi nga ni feow.., GO GO GO Girl!!!

    bisous,
    eni

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, you're really getting into character! and it not only sounds like getting into character, but like a process of self-discovery! i wonder if i can apply this to my major.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmmm...I can help you with the walk if you want ; )

    ReplyDelete
  9. well, id help too, but i think one Bb. G-clef is enough:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wear heels all the time :) after a while they're as painful as hell, but seriously, you'd feel like a woman. Plus, you can curl your lashes and swipe on some mascara and gloss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh yes, this one too. trust me it works! *reminisces G-clef days....*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Maxine! *virtual apir* Haha. Thanks, I hope you could come watch, if ever you're free on the 28th of March. ;) Will e-mail an official invite when it's 100% sure it will push through.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Go, go, go batchmate! We can do this. Hehe. (waaaa lapit na...)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Michelle! Hehe, pahingi naman ng ballerina powers mo diyan. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nerie! Kumusta panel? Sayang di ako nakapanood... I was able to watch Richard's lang. Hehe. Miss you! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha! Serioso ito, Keith? I'm game... as scheds allow. :) I could use a lot of help with posture... I need PROFESSIONAL help, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Enrico!! You're so sweet... naiyak ako sa sinulat mo. *hug* Thank you so much for your encouraging words. Wish you were here so you could watch.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ei Mika! I think you do this "getting into character" every time you play a piano piece... you have to get into the mindset of the composer of the work you're performing, diba? :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jorem! Keith! Oh wow, I have not one, but TWO Bb. G Clef contestants helping me out! Haha, how can I possibly fail? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. And you're such a darling for being so kind, Kichi! :) Uuuuy invited ka dito pag tuloy siya.

    ReplyDelete
  21. hahahahahaha.....il see if my scheds okay... :D ..though im not making any promises....i'll try when i can... :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. You most definitely have to give me details so I can watch :) I'm pretty much free starting Friday this week :) Finally!! School's almost over for me :) I just hope your event isn't in April because I'll be out of the country :|

    ReplyDelete