Friday, February 29, 2008

My Dad's 14th Birthday

I have the best dad in the world. Bar none.

On his 14th birthday, Papa drove all the way to Quezon City from Paranaque (after a long, exhausting day at work) to pick up his three children (a.k.a. the Tres Muchachos) so we could all have dinner at home as a family.

When people first meet Papa, they are awed at his presence. "Iba ang tindig niya," they say, "When you look at his eyes, you immediately sense his great intelligence." Others go straight out and ask, "General ba siya? Kakaiba yung aura niya e!"

This man gave up a lucrative, money-making career in order to be a hands-on dad. He was always THERE, without fail, in every major (and minor) event of my life. I can go talk to him about anything and everything, from trivial matters such as crushes to deep conversations about one's raison d'etre, and though we may not always agree, I always benefit from his wisdom and penetrating insights.

That's the kind of man Papa is. A great many people look up to him and admire him, and with good reason, too! He is one of those rare individuals whose integrity is without question, who overcame all sorts of trials, never making excuses for himself despite his impoverished childhood... fighting tooth and nail to attain his goals.

He is my standard when it comes to men. I decided long ago that I would marry someone like my dad. I may end up becoming a spinster because Papa's act is certainly a tough one to follow. ;)

A loving father, a loyal husband, a wise mentor and an ardent patriot with the soul of a poet and the heart of a warrior... Papa is all these things and more. He is my hero, and what motivates me and drives me is this burning desire to someday make him proud of me.

It is a privilege growing up under his guidance. Happy 14th Birthday, Papa! Four more birthdays (16 more years) to go and then you'll be of legal age! ;)

13 comments:

  1. 14th????? wow nman, nagbibinata na cya. haha :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could have written this 2 years ago. Never stop praying and believing that he will come someday, and never, ever settle.

    Happy birthday to your dad! May he have many, many more birthdays to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha ang saya naman. When does he usually celebrate his birthday, since it can't always be on the actual birthdate?

    ReplyDelete
  4. born on the 29th? what a loophole. hahaha

    happy birthday to your dad, he really sounds like a great parent! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. He has a rather distinguished looking moustache for one with his tender age, don't you think? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ate Dea! Thank you. Yes, I'll do just that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We celebrate on the 28th of Feb. and the 1st of March ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Mika. Hehe. They say people born on Feb.29 are very special ones. I quite agree!

    ReplyDelete
  9. leap year baby pala si tito.:)) please extend my greetings.:) i'm not sure if he'll remember me though BUT I remember him very well.:)) super bait at hospitable. hindi rin akward makipag-usap sa kanya kahit nung unang encounter. after all, four years lang naman agwat namin.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sophia! :) Yup he remembers you very well! Hehe thank you daw, and regards din daw to your Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  11. happy birthday to your dad! Amazing! Siya pa lang ang alam kong Feb.29 ang bday. Cute ng picture n'yo para kayong trio with your kambal :) kumusta? miss our theater days :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. waaa thanks sarj! haha sobrang late reply ito. Musta na?? Haha I remember those Theater days as if they just happened yesterday... parang kailan lang. :) *sniff*

    ReplyDelete
  13. walang anuman :) uy, nagtext ako sa'yo nung isang araw. si ate Mai pala discipler mo. i'd love to share the Lord with you noon kaya lang sobrang demanding ng theater na wala tayong intimate moments. Any way, I'm so happy for you and I pray that you grow more with Him. Walang kalimutan ha? Lalo na 'pag sikat ka na ha? hehehe.... God bless and miss you :)

    ReplyDelete