Sunday, February 24, 2008

A Blessed Day

Feb. 24, 2008, Sunday: A Date to Remember

Yesterday, my friend Miko and I got invited by Sir Eudy (WHAT AN HONOR!!) to perform during the Traditional Service at the Union Church of Manila. We performed Vivaldi's "Domine Deus, Rex Coelistis" from Gloria during the offertory.

It was my first time to attend a service outside the Roman Catholic tradition, and it was really an eye-opening experience. I was able to appreciate the difference all the more because I heard mass later on in the afternoon, in our usual church, with my family. The service at UCM was almost two hours long but no one minded. The whole thing was soooo "blessed." There's no other word for it! The sermon, the speakers, the music (they have THE Sir Eudy handling the choir and THE Ali Consolacion as organist... what a lucky, lucky church!)... EVERYTHING! There were so many times I was moved to tears by the music, and by the words of the speaker. And it wasn't just because I was a newcomer. I spoke to some regular parishioners afterwards (such gracious, warm people!), and they said it happens to them every time as well.

I will always remember how welcome they made us feel. There's this almost tangible sense of community in UCM, and it's really refreshing. Also, there wasn't any feeling of the service being "rushed," which sadly sometimes happens in Catholic masses (But this isn't because of any inherent flaw... as my dad pointed out, it's because of the sheer number of Catholics in our predominantly Catholic country. Churches have to increase the number of masses in order to meet the needs of millions).

After the UCM service, Papa treated Miko and I to lunch at Pancake House (where I stuffed myself on tocino and golden brown waffles, my favorite!), before dropping me off at the Philippine Opera Company studio so I could attend the second half of the Evelyn Mandac masterclass (Evelyn Mandac is the first and only Filipino to have sung at the Metropolitan Opera House in New York!!!).

What a great lady! And what great singing by sopranos Ana Feleo and this very slender lady named Mary Osbourne. We couldn't believe what a HUGE voice she had since she was very willowy, we were literally blown away.

Too bad I missed the morning session. Soprano Jennifer Uy performed in the first half.

Afterwards, my family picked me up and we all heard mass. We had time for a quick dinner at Mong Kok, one of our favorite Chinese restaurants with reasonable prices and delicious cooking, and a movie.

Guys watch THE SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES if you have time! It was surprisngly good. As Tata pointed out, it was "a modern retelling of the temptation of Adam and Eve." Tata and I were crying during the end, haha, won't reveal why. You have to see it for yourself. ;)

A blessed day... a perfect day. Am recharged to face the week ahead.

8 comments:

  1. wow! good for you anyways, i just watched the film yesterday!!!! its SSSUUUPPPPEEERRR, can't stop bragging about it!!! the best film i've ever watched (so far), never pa naman ako nagkaroon ng favorite film, so far this is the best!!!!galing ng writer and everything, no dead air!!!! derederecho ang story, love it!!! do you think merong 2 to?? waahhh, can't wait for the next episode if ever meron.... (sigh)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaya pala may narinig akong kumakanta ng Domine Deus last Wednesday when we were having Ensemble class! Ma'am Cura sang that when we performed Vivaldi's Gloria at the New Millennium Evangelical Church (NMEC), where Bev and Reg worship. I didn't recognize the song right away, though at first "hearing" I knew it was very familiar.

    You know, the structure of UCM and NMEC actually look alike. Both very pretty and well planned.

    It is always a joy to be able to perform with sir Eudy. He is such an inspiration, both as a person and as a musician.

    I'm glad you were blessed by their sunday service. :)

    And yes, Spiderwick Chronicles is a good movie. (Sorry, ang haba na ng post ko.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totoo! Ganda talaga ng movie, even my dad agreed (and it's a big thing because he usually sleeps through "kiddie" movies... but not this one!). Ewan ko lang kung may continuation. My twin said pinagsama nila several kiddie books into this one movie. Sana merong 2 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim! Haha dinig pala ako nagprapractice :) Oh wow, Ma'am Cura sang this? Hehe I also found out that Rachelle Gerodias performed the piece in UCM last year, on the morning of the performance. Talk about pressure! haha.

    Sir Eudy is a living saint. I'm so glad he's teaching in UP, I hope that he continues to influence countless more students in the years to come. I'm a better person and a better musician for having known people like him and Ma'am Cura.

    ReplyDelete
  5. can't wait for this!!!! we want more! we want more! we want more! we want more! hahhaa...

    ReplyDelete