Friday, January 18, 2008

I Am Legend / RCS Mall Tour

Movie time is family time, with the Francisco's. Seldom do we watch a movie with one of us absent... I can only think of a couple of instances (mostly it was I who was KJ enough not to be around, usually because of a rehearsal).

We gathered altogether as usual Wednesday evening to watch I AM LEGEND, which has got to be THE scariest film I've ever seen! And I usually don't cower in fright when watching horror films like THE RING, but LEGEND had me taking refuge behind my gigantic bucket of popcorn more than a few times.

I was struck by certain lines in the film... like when Will Smith's character (a brilliant scientist who discovers the cure for the disease that turns humans into carnivorous zombies... and not just ANY zombies, mind you, but powerful & cheetah-fast ones at that!) is surrounded by the zombies, and he cries: "You're sick! You're ALL sick! I can SAVE you! Why won't you let me save you?"

I was thinking that this line could be fittingly assigned to come from another, from One who loves us with a passion that is both terrible and beautiful... one that goes on loving us despite our indifference, and even our spite and ridicule.

And I still count myself among the sick... in fact, the more I come to know Him the more unworthy I feel of His love. And that is why I desperately cling to Him, for in His presence I am healed, and made clean and new... and I can begin to understand my reason for existing.

Here are the other lines that struck me:

"The world is quieter now. We just have to listen. If we listen, we can hear God's plan." Here's hoping that it won't take an apocalyptic event like the K Virus in the movie to make us listen to Him.

"Light up the darkness!"

"We are His legacy."

~ ~ ~

I got to watch an old friend, Jaime, perform with the Ryan Cayabyab Singers (RCS for short) today in Megamall during their mall tour. :)  I'm so happy for him, and oh-so-proud! Buy their album, you guys! Support Filipino artists!
I was lucky enough to get to chat with the RCS singers after their mini-concert, while they signed my copy of their album. They're such lovely people! And two of them are from U.P! Haha, sorry, couldn't resist school pride.

                That's Mr. C himself with the RCS singers, at the album signing.

Wooohoooo! Go go go Jaime! :) May you continue sharing your God given talent with us for a long time to come. 

More pics to follow, my camera just died on me. Good thing Mama was there to take photos as well!

5 comments:

  1. :) ive watched that movie too yesterday, albeit in german... nakakabilis ng tibok ng puso lalo na nung pa ending. iba talaga nagagawa ng sound effects. :) kawawa naman yung aso niya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kuya! Hehe totoo yun... it's the sound effects, more than the visual effects, that make or break a horror movie.

    Poor Samantha... diba violation yun of one of the 10 Commandments of movie-making? "The cute dog shall not die..."

    I was weeping silently during that scene. My heart broke for him. T.T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! You mean to say it's similar to Resident Evil? I want to watch! We watched Sweeney Todd last Thursday, though. Grabe! Ang galin ni Johnny Depp! And the music and orchestration by Sondheim was the best ever!

    As for RCS, I know Poppert. He was my classmate in Italian 10 and 11 and an ex UPCC trainee. Medyo galit nga ata sa kanya ang mga taga UPCC because he quit in favor of joining RCS. While I understand them, ultimately I don't think it was such a bad choice on his part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poppert's SoooOOoo talented! And really nice. Oooh what a coincidence... the other UP girl, Kaich, was with the UPCC for 5 years. Understandable yung decision niya.

    And I found LEGEND a lot scarier than any of the RESIDENT EVIL movies, hehe. Pero mas enjoy siguro mga lalaki sa Resident Evil kasi hindi naka mini skirt si Will Smith. :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hindi naman kami nagalit sa kanya. We support him as much as we support Kaich. :-)

    ReplyDelete