Sunday, November 11, 2007

Enrollment in U.P. vs. Enrollment in Ateneo

I did the legwork for my twinnie's M.A. enrollment a few days ago. Since my mindset was fresh from my U.P. enrollment, I made sure to dress appropriately that day: dark shirt (so sweat stains won't be quite as visible), "macho" jeans and comfy sneakers. I didn't know quite what to expect, so I prepared for the worst and armed myself with tissue paper, alcohol, a bottle of water, a fan, an extra T shirt and a book to read while waiting in line. (Haha, told you I was thinking of U.P. registration!)

*gasp* It was so different from UP enrollment!

For one thing, all I had to do was walk the short distances in between buildings, present myself to the registration assistants, and sit pretty in an airconditioned room (complete with magazines for our reading pleasure).

The lines for payment and i.d. validation were laughably short. ("Line? You call THAT a line?") They even had cordoned-off areas for lining up! Impressive, huh?

Registration assistants were everywhere, and would announce various reminders on their megaphone every few seconds. Imagine not having to ask what the next step is because, hey! They're spoonfeeding the instructions to you! :)

That was the first time I enrolled and didn't even break into a sweat. It took all of *gasp* 30 minutes.

On the other hand, this sem's electronic enrollment in UP did speed things up, but only if you were lucky enough to get all the subjects you enlisted for online (*thank goodness for graduating students being given priority*). 

Good luck to all the pre-rog-ers next week!

Oh, I almost forgot... I have a 7 a.m. class tomorrow. 'Night everyone.

20 comments:

  1. hahahahaha.... i miss those reg days at ateneo..... the quick lines, the reg team (that's the cheerleaders you noted) and the short distances.... mwahahahahahahaha..... although i'd have to say CRS did improve this semester..... i did mine in 2 hours (including waiting for my department chair to arrive)..... but then, we're graduating students, hahahahaha. here's to a good semester ahead, gabi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Cheerleaders:" who were mostly chinita/chinito... hehe. Sorry! Couldn't help but notice.

    A 2 hour enrollment in UP is a fine, rare thing indeed.

    Here's to our last sem! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. During my first few enrollments in UP, I brought my entire house in a sturdy backpack and wore manly, boring clothes (so I could sit on the floor, etc etc.)

    My sister hates it whenever I compare UP to Ateneo :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. 30 minutes? That's how long I stood in line at CHE for the online validation of one of my classes. Turns out it was the wrong line, wrong building. XP

    As much as I love being in UP, there are days when I wonder how things would be if I studied in Ateneo, especially when I'm walking around in their clean, safe, and quiet campus. Pero mahal ko pa rin ang UP, he he ;p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok lang iyan, Bianca... Cat... in the real world, lines aren't as orderly nor the people as polite. I think we UP iskas are better prepared for Philippine bureaucracy in action. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must try paying tuition at the cash office at Shopping center, the lines there are normally short and you also get to sit pretty in an air conditioned room in case the line's a little long... but during enrollment period lang ito when the payment's done downstairs. Forget it if you're paying for change mat upstairs, it's the complete opposite. Had the worst worst worst CRS this sem, took me a week to enlist enough subjects to prevent underloading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha! That's exactly what I tell my friends from La Salle and other universities when they brag about their breezy enrollment processes. =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. MA always has faster registration process than bachelors. Same as in UP. I bet if you enroll in an MA course in UP, it would be quick too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hay buti nlng graduating narin me, nasa priority list ako, so i got all my subjects quite easily.

    ReplyDelete
  10. DC or BM? Wag ka munang umalis! Kailangan ko ng pianist hanggang makaabot ako ng MuP 90. Break na kami ni Josiah, he he he ;p

    ReplyDelete
  11. hahahahaha ikaw nman nakipagbreak ka na agad! hahaha

    don't worry, DC plang nman, and i'll continue with my BM studies, so nasa college pa rin ako for at least a year. hahahaha :p

    ReplyDelete
  12. graduating plang ako ng diploma. di pa ako BM...haha

    wla na nga akong major ngaung sem e, tinatapos ko nlng mga kulang na units.:p

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember camping out in front of CMC at midnight just to get the thesis adviser I wanted. We had mats, pillows, shawls, hot coffee, sandwiches, cheese and boiled eggs. That was fun.

    And I remember donning my macho rugged clothes too, to slog through the grueling week-long process. That, in hindsight, was fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. yun yung pinagkaiba natin sa ibang school eh

    dito sa UP bahala ka sa buhay mo, matira ang matibay haha

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kuya! Hmmm hindi yun nag-register sa utak ko, hehe, thanks for sharing po. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha! Grabe a... I've never experienced that midnight madness you spoke of.

    The "oldies-but-goodies" professors always remember their action-packed reg.days of old with fondness, but when you're actually in the moment, you can't help but feel pretty irritable.

    Oh well. Siguro in a few years time :)

    ReplyDelete