Friday, November 16, 2007

A Saturday Morning Lecture and The Meaning of My Name

 

I got a text message late last night, informing me that I was required to attend a lecture/seminar at the U.P. College of Education at 8 a.m. the following day. 

Thanks to that 3D movie BEOWULF (movie review to follow, soon!), we got home really late and I slept past midnight, only to get up at 5:30 today so I could make it in UP on time.

So this morning I attended the 1st Annual Seminar in Values and Moral Education with the Theme: MORAL REASONING AS A TOOL FOR NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND PROGRESS.

There were three speakers: a senator (with the initials F. E.) , a U.P. Philosophy prof (A. A) , and a reverend (M.L). 

The first spoke of the role of the youth, and of political leaders, in shaping the nation. He said that he believed in drastic change, but that this change had to come from the top.

The second speaker spent the better part of an hour delivering a lecture that would have been more fitting for a Philo 1 class, and soon had half his audience slumbering away in their comfortable chairs. I valiantly fought to stay awake but really couldn't see why he had to go into all those details.

The third speaker had very little time left to him and had to cut down his lecture to 1/3 its original length. Sayang. I felt that his message was the one that the audience (consisting of mostly Educ.majors) really needed to hear.

It saddened me, witnessing this reverend speak from the depths of his heart about God's word and seeing his message fall on indifferent ears.

And so the debate rages on... do we need to teach Values Ed. in the classroom (whether implicitly or explicitly)? 

I think it is necessary, now more than ever. Just look at what is happening to the U.S. with its "neutral" curricula. In their quest to avoid "indoctrination,"  their children are growing up amoral and lost in a sea of knowledge without certainty.

I see the effects of the liberal education system even here in U.P. How many times have I come across profs who preach idealistic values like honor and integrity in their lectures but do not take a stand consistent with what they preach when put to the test?

And the U.P. student, having been taught to accept everything as true in this postmodern world of ours with its several truths, having gotten used to a buffet-style of knowledge where you pick-and-choose-what-suits-you-best...   I've witnessed this far, far too many times:  when there is a stance to be taken, the average student chooses to be a fence-sitter.

It is not enough to know right from wrong. There is a huge difference between knowing and actually acting out your beliefs.

The Philo.prof. made the mistake of saying how he believed that little good would come out of a GMRC (Good Manners and Right Conduct) class, because values are only effectively taught at home. Values Ed. is "an exercise in futility," he said.

How sad for him to believe this! And him being a teacher!

He also went on and on about there being only two sources of knowledge: reason and sense perception.

A brave soul spoke up, questioning the validity of his argument about there being only two sources of knowledge and defending the role of teachers in character formation. He suggested coming up with a set of values taken from the commonalities in the holy books of the major religions such as the Koran and the Bible.

The poor, poor Philo. prof... he couldn't fathom there being Truth outside what is logical and measurable, because his whole life has been spent studying epistemology and logic.

But when you think about it, you cannot intellectualize ethics and religion!!

I was delighted at how ably he (the brave soul, NOT the Philo prof) spoke, so I came up to him afterwards and introduced myself. What an admirable teacher he will turn out to be! He used to be a scientist, until he was called to the Ministry, and is now a curriculum designer. We talked a bit, it was so nice to find that we had the same ideas.

Had a blessed talk with an old friend afterwards.  She shared with me a link that led me to this site, where I found the most wonderful meaning of my name:

Gabriela

 

Francisco

 

I never knew that my first name meant that!! I was so delighted, and still am.

Dear Lord, thank you for such a beautiful name. Please help me live up to it.

~ ~

Am soooo sleepy, and my brain isn't functioning properly so I won't edit this entry anymore.  Have a nice weekend, everyone!

10 comments:

  1. You know it really saddens me whenever this happens, or whenever I see others put God down... Anyway, you know during that time when you told me about the thing that happened to you during the day of my recital... I almost cried tears of joy for you. Seriously. I am really so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, thank you so much. :) Today is the first monthsary! haha. I am so grateful for this gift, for the beautiful life I've been given, for wonderful friends like you! :) God bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. -> But when you think about it, you cannot intellectualize ethics and religion!!

    how i wish i heard how this brave soul argued his case! this topic really interests me - the topic of intellect/reason and beliefs/religion/ethics. science and philosophy have its limits.

    -> And the U.P. student, having been taught to accept everything as true in this postmodern world of ours with its several truths, having gotten used to a buffet-style of knowledge where you pick-and-choose-what-suits-you-best... I've witnessed this far, far too many times: when there is a stance to be taken, the average student chooses to be a fence-sitter.

    i can relate so much! it's so frightening to think that everything is an opinion, nothing is truth. i can't live without changeless truths to hold on to. but the world so convincingly tells us that there's no such truth. it's all so confusing. i'm almost believing it myself! but i dont want to.

    values SHOULD be taught first and foremost!!! in school, they teach us how to add, how to write an essay, but they rarely, maybe never, teach us how to live. how'd that happen?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truth... truth... what IS truth? For millions of years, philosophers have agonized over this timeless question. I guess each and every one of us has to come up with our own answer, no one else can come up with it FOR us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a hard question! i sometimes wrack my brains over this! i really really want to know. do you think it's really necessary for us to know what truth is? anyway, i put most of my question in my latest blog post. maybe someday i will find answers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. even this search for "truth" is somewhat "futile", as there are many many truths...however, there is also Someone who said, "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life..." i'd rather stick to this truth...because it tells you as a person where you're leading/going to...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen, Kim. :)

    A certain Christian philosopher talks about the subjectivity of truth, or "the truth that is true for me." He says Truth (for it to have meaning for us) must be approached subjectively. It isn't enough for us to merely ponder on a certain truth, but we must apply it to our concrete, individual existence.

    He also thought that "for humans truth is found in striving for the truth rather than in any system of thought."

    "You made us for Yourself and our hearts find no peace until they rest in You." --- St. Augustine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree. I remember Dostoyevsky (tama ba spelling?). He refuted the philosophy of nihilism, not by philosophical arguments, but by showing through story what kind of life would result from believing in nihilism. Maybe this suggests that truth is found more in doing than in thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it's such a blessing that He showed us so many truths so we didn't have to blindly search for them ourselves. i don't think man would have found truth apart from God - they would just end up more confused. Like me, I sometimes try to find truth while trying to leave God out of the picture - it doesnt work! I just get so confused! I need God to show me truth.

    ReplyDelete