Friday, April 14, 2023

Musical Review: Upstart Productions' BREAKUPS & BREAKDOWNS by Joel Trinidad and Rony Fortich





I remember attending one of Joel Trinidad's workshops many years ago, where my classmates and I learned so much from his and Nikki Trivino's analytical input. While I think I did passably OK with the Shakespeare monologues and other fun things we did in class, in the final recital, the monologue assigned to me was that of a 30-year-old woman breaking down after her philandering husband leaves her. Younger, more innocent me hadn't yet experienced this all too common, universal human emotion, and so, to no one's surprise... I sucked. Hehe.
Afterwards, my siblings and I got the chance to chat with Joel while waiting for our respective vehicles to arrive. "Thank you for being patient with her even though she sucked big time," said my ever supportive but blunt siblings. Ever the gentleman, Joel denied it, but I freely admitted to sucking BIG TIME (here's to self-awareness and artistic objectivity!!) and revealed that I'd never experienced heartbreak before. "I hope you never do. I wouldn't wish it on anyone," Joel said, and I'll never forget the intense look in his eyes, as if drawing from a private, bitter well. (Now that I've had my heart broken, too, I recognize this haunted look more easily when I see it in others. Remaking one's self from brokenness leaves visible marks.)
Joel Trinidad has somehow transmuted that intense pain that I caught a glimpse of into this 2.5 hour musical comedy (about 2 couples that go out with each other's exes) that has all the lightness and fluff of cotton candy and popcorn. Enlisting the musical prowess of the amazing Rony Fortich, he and Nikki Trivino have put together an incredible ensemble of singing actors, any one of whom fans will pay good money to see. (And fans will, for the prices in the new 400-seat auditorium of British School Manila BGC range from P500 to P2,300!)
Featuring a very strong start, but a very uneven set of singing and acting prowess from the cast, I was actually feeling rather sleepy towards the end of the second act (have I mentioned that it's 2.5 hours long? Well it's 2.5 hours long). Good thing Tanya Manalang burst into her solo number OUTSIDE THE LINES, complete with memorable lighting from Miyo Sta. Maria (the lines and bars looked like those in a prison cell, and visually underscored how she was "breaking free"). NO ONE was sleepy after that!
Another favorite was Nelsito Gomez's BE PREPARED! It's a treat for this theater fan to see this "serious" actor/director take on the role of a model-playboy and ham it up onstage! Talk about range! Audience members shall never look at a Hawaiian shirt the same away again. Goodbye Lito Atienza, hello Nelsito Gomez, I mean, Derek. * wink *
Some songs seemed like they were put there merely to add to the length of the show (CLIENTS FROM HELL), and I honestly think the sheer number of musical numbers ended up adding to the monotony. After a while, it became repetitive: duet, solo, solo with back up muses, ad infinitum). Perhaps the show would have worked better in one act, rather than two.
I think the audience that will enjoy this the most are high school or college students experiencing "The Game" of enacting power dynamics between sexes in relationships for the first time. As a gateway into musical theater, it may prove exciting ... for them.
(I did witness a barkada exiting the theater singing BOY MEETS GIRL at the top of their lungs, which is always a good thing! Also, this was arguably the strongest song, melodically.)
But for the more mature (ahem ahem I don't want to say "old" hehe) theater goer, the real wonder is how one can extend the limited theme and predictable plot into something that is 2.5 hours long. (Oh, I mentioned it already? Well then I've mentioned it already -- and did you notice how that extended my word count LOL) The musical came across as rather shallow, with a lot of the jokes featuring over-extended word play, beats left dangling too long, with some of the humor falling flat. We appreciate the effort made to prolong a play so the audience can get their "money's worth," but maybe it would be better to edit out what doesn't work instead of insisting that it be crammed in, purely for the sake of length.
Having witnessed the fine mind of director/writer Joel Trinidad at work in a previous life, I'm excited to see what he is truly capable of writing, should he wish to fully explore those untapped depths. We have not yet seen what he is truly capable of.
Go see it if you're in the mood for "uncomplicated" musical theater with fine singing and acting from most of the cast. There are worse ways to spend a Saturday/Sunday evening.
(Grateful for the invitation to the preview, courtesy of Upstart Productions and Theaterfansmanila.com !)

Niki Trivino, Rachel Coates, Reb Atadero, Sarah Facuri, Joel Trinidad, Tanya Manalang, and Nelsito Gomez


No comments:

Post a Comment