Friday, July 15, 2022

Book Review: DELIVERANCE by James Dickey

DeliveranceDeliverance by James Dickey
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

"Here we go, out of the sleep of mild people, into the wild rippling water."

Four bored businessmen go canoeing in the wilderness of Georgia because they felt trapped by their nine-to-five jobs in the city. But what was meant to be a joyful test of manhood turns out to be a desperate fight for survival against fellow men and Mother Nature, and not everyone survives.

I thought I'd read this short novel to relax on a Friday night, after a stressful day at work.

Only to get even more stressed and anxious, but unable to put it down until I had finished it!!! (Darn me and my life choices LOL)

I suppose it's a perfect read for when you're spending yet another weekend barricading oneself indoors because of the alarming rise in COVID cases. This is the kind of book parents can give their (adult) children if they want to dissuade them from going on that overly adventurous rafting trip.

There's an award-winning film based on the book out there, but after having read the book, I don't think I can stomach seeing and hearing the events play out onscreen. The book is giving me mild PTSD already, thank you very much.

Recommended for any adult who has ever tasted "the long declining routine of our lives." This book helps us be grateful for the peace and security that allows one to be bored, for often, boredom is actually happiness in disguise. And we only realize it when it has been taken away from us.

It was also quite fascinating to read an adventure novel by a poet! The music of the words comes out, though it seems he tried to tone it down.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment