Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Book Review: SHOREFALL (THE FOUNDERS TRILOGY # 2) by Robert Jackson Bennett

Shorefall (Founders, #2)Shorefall by Robert Jackson Bennett
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

"The line between life and death is always blurred. To live is to die, just very, very slowly."

This 2nd book in THE FOUNDERS TRILOGY was my third one by Robert Jackson Bennett, who is now one of my favorite authors of all time!! His incredible novels blend sci-fi and fantasy, and defy simple categorization because they are so much more complex than their counterparts. THE FOUNDERS TRILOGY is turning out to be the more steampunk version of RJB's DIVINE CITIES trilogy, which also features memorable characters and god-like beings aiming for the destruction of the known world.

SHOREFALL continues the stories of FOUNDRYSIDE's Sancia, a former slave turned Robin Hood, this time using her powers for creating mayhem for the greater good, along with her buddies.

We are back in Tevanne, a city where reality can be altered by "scriving" or writing spells down on objects.

Book 2 elevates the stakes by introducing us to resurrected gods, called "hierophants," who happen to be stark raving mad... and we find our mortal heroes horribly outmatched but managing to get by through selflessness, sheer guts, and ingenuity.

The underdog trope is super effective! With the cards stacked so high against the heroes, the reader is always left amazed at the incredibly complex schemes they have to come up, just to survive. Strange as it may seem, I feel that computer programmers would appreciate this series, because of the extremely logical steps necessary to "scrive" objects to defy physics.

"What a marvelous thing, to be alive. What a wondrous thing, to share my life, and be loved."

I appreciate how RJB does not make a big deal out of his character's gender and partner choices. While some characters are not straight, the story takes utmost precedence, and this kind of "normalization" in literature is something quite modern, I think.

Ultimately, RJB writes of old world orders threatening the lives and individual freedoms of subjugated masses. Dogmatic and intolerant attitudes towards sexual orientations is but one of several injustices that RJB highlights in his novels.

"Move thoughtfully, and always give freedom to others."

RJB is now on my automatic must-buy-on-sight list! No one else merges philosophy, political science, and incredible storytelling like him! Gave this book 4 stars because I felt FOUNDRYSIDE (Book 1) was tighter and had better character development.

I made a promise to Papa to finish all my unread books before buying a new one, thankfully I have a bit of time left until Book 3 hits the stores... because I will DEFINITELY get a copy!


Click here to go to my review of Book 1 (Foundryside)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment