Sunday, August 23, 2020

Book Review: A RELIABLE WIFE by Robert Goolrick

A Reliable WifeA Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is the sort of story that Jo March got condemned by Prof. Bhaer for writing. It’s scandalous and mad, and definitely for adult readers only in its sensual depiction of extreme loneliness and the lengths people go through to escape it. I couldn’t pull myself away after reading the first page.

A rich man advertises for a wife, and the woman who arrives on the train is not the one he was expecting.

I think what fascinates me is the thought that this book, and another one like it, was inspired by true events and real people’s lives, as written in another book (“Wisconsin Death Trip” by Michael Lesy).

Apparently, country living in turn-of-the-century America wasn’t all wholesome apple pie and barn dances.

As thrillers go, this one is top-notch and will definitely keep you turning pages way past bedtime.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment