Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Joyeaux Noel : The Meaning of Christmas

   "Joyeaux Noel" is a movie inspired by true events during World War I. On Christmas Eve of 1914, soldiers from opposing sides met in No Man's Land met peacefully to celebrate the birth of Christ. 

   The first video shows the most powerful scene in the movie, while the second features the movie's theme song, "Hymne des Fraternises." Both are very beautiful and powerful, and I couldn't hold back tears when I watched them.

   Truly, they embody the meaning of Christmas. 

   Here is the blurb on the 'homepage' of the first video:

   "The "Christmas truce" is a term used to describe several brief unofficial cessations of hostilities that occurred on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day between German and British or French troops in World War I, particularly that between British and German troops stationed along the Western Front during Christmas 1914. In 1915 there was a similar Christmas truce between German and French troops, and during Easter 1916 a truce also existed on the Eastern Front.
The truce began on Christmas Eve, December 24, 1914, when German troops began decorating the area around their trenches in the region of Ypres, Belgium, for Christmas. They began by placing candles on trees, then continued the celebration by singing Christmas carols, most notably Stille Nacht (Silent Night). The Scottish troops in the trenches across from them responded by singing English carols.

The two sides continued by shouting Christmas greetings to each other. Soon thereafter, there were calls for visits across the "No Man's Land" where small gifts were exchanged — whisky, jam, cigars, chocolate, and the like. The soldiers exchanged gifts, sometimes addresses, and drank together. The artillery in the region fell silent that night. The truce also allowed a breathing spell where recently-fallen soldiers could be brought back behind their lines by burial parties. Proper burials took place as soldiers from both sides mourned the dead together and paid their respects. At one funeral in No Man's Land, soldiers from both sides gathered and read a passage from the 23rd Psalm: The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures. He leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul. He leadeth me in the path of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.

The truce spread to other areas of the lines, and there are many stories of football matches between the opposing forces.

In many sectors, the truce lasted through Christmas night, but in some areas, it continued until New Year's Day.

The truce occurred in spite of opposition at higher levels of the military. Earlier in the autumn, a call by Pope Benedict XV for an official truce between the warring governments had been ignored.

British commanders Sir John French and Sir Horace Smith-Dorrien vowed that no such truce would be allowed again, although both had left command before Christmas 1915. In all of the following years of the war, artillery bombardments were ordered on Christmas Eve to ensure that there were no further lulls in the combat. Troops were also rotated through various sectors of the front to prevent them from becoming overly familiar with the enemy. Despite those measures, there were a few friendly encounters between enemy soldiers, but on a much smaller scale than in 1914."








I hear the mountain birds

The sound of rivers singing
A song I've often heard
It flows through me now
So clear and so loud
I stand where I am
And forever I'm dreaming of home
I feel so alone, I'm dreaming of home

It's carried in the air
The breeze of early morning
I see the land so fair
My heart opens wide
There's sadness inside
I stand where I am
And forever I'm dreaming of home
I feel so alone, I'm dreaming of home

This is no foreign sky
I see no foreign light
But far away am I
From some peaceful land
I'm longing to stand
A hand in my hand
...forever I'm dreaming of home
I feel so alone, I'm dreaming of home.


3 comments:

  1. there's a movie of this pala? i've only seen the documentary. kakaiyak, even now as i think about it... and i hate the part when they resume hostilities. how could they?! kakaiyak, when will there be peace? i'm just thankful i live in a loving, peaceful environment...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the title of the documentary?

    I've seen neither, but I do want to watch them. Joyeux Noel is on youtube but only certain parts, not the whole movie.

    Yes, I just HATE that they had to resume fighting. But it's still a very powerful message of hope, considering that the officers who agreed to the truce were going against the orders of High Command, and were subsequently punished for their actions.

    Agreed, we have a LOT to be thankful for! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i forgot the title. i think it was "days that shook the world"? i'll have to check again. :)

    ReplyDelete