Thursday, December 31, 2009

Ein Abschied bis 2009

   2009 has been a most difficult year for our country, and for the people around the world who have been stricken hard by the global recession. But I feel that it is best to focus on the positive happenings rather than the negative, as it is better to face the New Year with hope than dread.

   I'm very grateful to have been given another year of health and happiness. Since I turned 23 last week (Gurang na ako!), below are 23 blessings from 2009, for which I am most thankful. (Note: These aren't listed in any particular order.)

   I'm grateful for...

   1. The 2 weeks of enforced voice rest I had to undergo as a result of getting laryngitis. You know the saying, "You don't miss the water until the well runs dry?" Well, I didn't fully realize how precious and delicate the human voice is, until that nasty wake up call. It was extremely stressful for me, at the time, as I had to beg off singing engagements and I hated to do so. But I learned so many precious lessons along the way. I've consequently made adjustments in my lifestyle, such as switching to decaf coffee and using my voice more sparingly when I teach. I'm happy to report that my voice box is doing just fine today. :)

   2. The first meeting with Meewa! :)  Dear, is there really no chance of you and your family ever living in Metro Manila again? Hehe.

   3. My job... one that is draining yet exciting and allows me to learn and grow as a person every day. I am especially thankful because it allows me to keep coming back to my beloved CMu!

   4. Passing the Licensure Exam for Teachers!!?! Our oathtaking ceremony was one of the proudest moments of my life. Now I can truly say, "I am a teacher."

   5. Discovering Nutella. 'Nuff said. :)

   6. Discovering Cafe Mary Grace in Serendra, the site of several book sessions with Ex Libris Philippines. Too bad it's so small, it's very difficult to get seats as it's usually full of hungry clients! But if ever you get the chance to eat there, DO drop by. You won't regret it.

   7. The graduation ceremony of friends and college-mates that I was able to witness and be part of. Our whole lives are ahead of us!!!

   8. Witnessing the love lives of friends and learning from their godly examples... learning to be patient and joyful in expectation.

   9. Books. They comfort, uplift and nourish my soul, even when I can't use the piano or am surrounded by people and can't sing. And of course, this includes my book org, Ex Libris Philippines, and the incredible people in it! Looking forward to an exciting 2010 with you guys!

   10.The Rockwell Powerplant Fire in April that taught me never to take safety for granted, and to respect the incredible faith and courage of my Father.

   11. Being able to study part-time in a beautiful, working-student-friendly environment, where I'm able to observe a whole new culture that deepened my appreciation for the one in UP.

   12. Being able to register for elections!! Yay!

   13. The Boy Scout experience in Makiling. Life-changing.

   14. My twin sister, my soulmate, who has joined the faculty at RMM, and is now my seatmate and co-teacher. 

   15. The fourteen hours that I got stranded in the midst of Ondoy. It was the ultimate lesson of seeing the proverbial glass as half-full.

 
   16. Friends... some of whom have gone far away but still exert a great deal of influence on my life. I am a better person because of you guys!

   17. Music... most especially the voice of Ian Bostridge, whose lieder albums are fast becoming the soundtracks of my life.

   18. My students. I really do believe that I'm learning more from them than they learn from me.

   19.  The new Casio keyboard that replaced our 25 ++ year old one. Now the RMM Choir can make more beautiful music during the mass!
   
   20. My beautiful family!!! Including our two rottweilers.
   
   21. Facebook! And multiply. They allow me to keep in touch with friends and relatives abroad.

   22. Avatar and 3D Imax theaters! Life is more beautiful!!!

   23. My "bilbil," because it means that I have more than enough to eat. :) Now my 2010 resolution is to eradicate it.
 
Happy New Year everyone!!! *toddles off to gaze at the fireworks from our glass ceiling*

4 comments: