Wednesday, September 2, 2009

On "Grand Obsession" and Inspiration

   I love books and music, and can't really tell which of them I love with a fiercer passion. It is a joy for me to read books on Music. In fact, one of the things that got me "hooked" to singing was reading this novel back in high school... Anne Rice's rather controversial "Cry To Heaven." 

   Perri Knize's "Grand Obsession" was a lucky find. I was just browsing in Fully Booked when I chanced upon it, the last copy on the shelf. I'm so glad I followed my impulse to buy it (despite its rather considerable price), it was worth every centavo! The book has been described as a tribute to the piano, but I say it is so much more. It is a tribute to Music-making, to Art, to the pursuit of one's passions regardless of one's age.


   Let me share some quotable quotes from the book:

   "The only difference between a virtuoso and the rest of us are vast and innumerable hours and years of practice, more practice than most of us will ever devote ourselves to, if we wish to have a life besides. It's not enough to love the music. You have to learn to love the process. It's hard work, even for the gifted."

   "Music teaches spirituality by showing a person a portion of himself that he would not discover otherwise. It's hard to avoid yourself in the process of learning how to play the piano. You find out about your expectations, your patience, your optimism or lack of it. It's character-building."

   "...When one is able to realize with clarity the breathtaking achievements of some great master, to the point that one is almost not conscious of playing as being played by transcendent forces/beings, one is not trying for some ideal, one has achieved a state of being that exists in few other human experiences... that to me seems the point behind all this fuss about pianos: the MUSIC they make and we, with our own two hands, can become at least for a few moments, immortal. For you see, all the shouting over political/religious issues will never accomplish what a single, simple piece of exquisite piano music will accomplish. Music can melt the coldest heart, can cause grown men to cry openly, can move women to fainting, can stop wars! It can, it still can."

   The book offers practical knowledge, too! I now know the ideal temperature for pianos (68 degrees fahrenheit) and their ideal humidity (42 percent), as well as how to go about shopping for my dream piano.

   (Incidentally, it's an American myth that the Steinway grand is the best piano around. The word is out! It's GROTRIAN!!!)

   Reading this book has affected me drastically... no, not to the point that I would seriously consider taking up piano as a second degree (though my piano teacher has brought up the option), but it has definitely inspired me to seriously practice my piano playing skills, even if I have to sleep a bit later at night to do so. :) 

   I would greatly appreciate recommendations of some nice intermediate piano pieces (around the same level of difficulty as Chopin's Nocturne in C# minor, posthumous)! :)

   Who says 22 is too old to start taking piano seriously? :) Ignaz Paderewski was my age when he started out... Harold Bauer was 20. Sviatoslav Richter was 27. I'd say I'm in good company. :)

8 comments:

  1. Ooohhh!!! The bo0k seems like a bo0k i (and mika.haha) would love to read! Thank you for sharing this, Gabi. It struck a very deep chord... I suppose I'm not too old either, huh? =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this post comes just as I am constantly obsessed with the piano piece //a posteriori//; so obsessed that I think I am working too slowly on this, considering and re-considering every little detail now, measure per measure; like jjst today, I was able to revise three bars of it, which I have pondered enough in the last three days (!!!!!); I feel so exhausted, but am so glad I could be too excited to show the score (or how much I have gone so far) to people like MIka, or Gab Molina, or Mita Fernandez, etc. etc; if Miracle were here, she'd be one of those I would burden by showing the score; I'd like to find the cahnce to just show this to you Gabi; I am just too obsessed with this!

    I guess there is but a thread of a difference between the workmanship of a virtuoso pianist and a composer; the "obsession" is there; no other drive or inspiration is necessary; whenever I am working on this piece, all my anxieties and the adversities that confront me disappear! I cannot control the world and pain that is inflicted by some people to me, but I can control this piece of music; at every turn; in every corner of its emergent existence; I become it, and it becomes me!!!! I become repieno!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so true!!!! and how timely, God works through even the grueling hours of practice we must go through. and i've also found out a lot about myself recently through my relationship with music, i will blog about it soon :)

    btw, why'd they say that grotrian is the best brand?

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah!!! i think i'll be inspired to practice harder if i read this, hahaha....

    ReplyDelete
  5. i was w0ndering ab0ut the same thing, gabi. I always thought twas either bose or fazioli.

    ReplyDelete
  6. to sir: wah...i'm missing out on a lot of things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, hello; the last time I encountered you was when you had trouble with your laptop...? or was I dreaming that.....? I am just too obsessed I guess with this tormenting piece of music...; and also with the Hammerklavier and the Opus 111, both of them great "sound murals;" keep in touch Mira...;

    ReplyDelete
  8. sweetie . . . you  go  right  on  believing  in  your  grotrian . . . for  me  it  is  steinway  or  nothing.

    ReplyDelete