Monday, December 22, 2008

Merry Holidays

     The past few weeks has been a blur of activity. Everyone goes a little bit crazy during Christmastime here in Manila, and I'm now feeling the effects of late nights and days spent meeting old friends and braving the snake-like cashier queues of the boutiques (I REFUSE to stress about the fact that I was not able to get presents to all the people on my list... good thing there's such a thing as a HAPPY NEW YEAR present).

      Yesterday was a typical "busy" day. I had to wake up at 5:30 to get to the school by 7, where I met with the Teatro students and blocked 8 out of 12 scenes of the high school's theatre club's play by 11 am. Ran off to have lunch with old chorale-mate and friend Denden. It was great to see her, and catch up on our lives. (Denden dear, if you're reading this, thank you for the lovely present and the even more precious note that came with it! You'll always have Tata and I by your side. *hug*) That was an afternoon well spent, and spent I was indeed when I came home! But despite my weariness, I HAD to finish the book my twinnie gave me for Christmas:



     For all the Little Women readers out there, you MUST read this book if you want a very plausible interpretation of what Father March went through when he went off to war. Geraldine Brooks knew that Little Women was heavily autobiographical, and so she drew on actual journals and letters of Bronson Alcott, the transcendentalist philosopher and educator who was father to the much beloved Louisa May Alcott. She came up with a very vivid portrait of a man who, despite committing unspeakably horrible sins out of weakness wrought by being "dipped into the fire,"  remained an idealist and a "good, kind" man.

     (Good and kind... two simple adjectives yet they are the most important attributes I think we should all aspire to be. Give me a simple, good and kind man any day over a worldly, sophisticated and charming one!)

     The book provided a darker and more adult view of the March family, and only served to deepen my ardor for the real life Alcott family that inspired the novel. I've been looking for this book in the FULLY BOOKED outlets but haven't been able to find a copy! I hope to get myself this book for Chrimastime. If you see it a bookstore, please, DO inform me where!!!



     But I digress. Here is a passage from "March" that struck me deeply (Mea culpa!!), and it serves as a timely reminder to look past the material gifts and the food-laden party tables this Christmas:

     "...I had come in stages to a different belief about how one should be in this life. I now felt convinced that the greater part of a man's duty consists in abstaining from much that he is in the habit of consuming. If I prolong my dark hours by the consumption of costly oil, then I waste both the life of the beast slaughtered for the purpose, and the clarity of mind which comes from timely sleep... If I indulge in coffee then I pay to pollute myself, when instead I could have had a cleansing draught of water at no charge at all...Further, we found that by limiting our own consumption to two meals a day, we were able to set aside a basket of provisions from which the girls were able to exact a pleasure far greater than sating an animal appetite... and that one luxury that we could not forswear; giving our mite to those unfortunates even poorer than we."

     I'm grateful that I have today and tomorrow free for reflection. Though I do not regret the wonderful hours spent in the company of good friends (what happy, golden hours they were!), there is much to be said for isolated contemplation... something I shall start on rather tardily, but better late than never! :)

13 comments:

  1. Huhu... two weeks ago, a bookseller friend offered Brooks' book and I declined, and someone else immediately bought it from her. Sayang! Oh well, I'll let you know if I come across Eden's Outcasts, Gabi. =)

    By the way, I was surprised to find out from November's calendar that Louisa and Bronson Alcott shared the same birthday! Speaking of shared birthdays... I'm quite excited about the 26th. I prepared a leeeeetle surprise. hihi ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This however, I cannot accept despite my admiration for transcendentalist's frugality. Bach didn't pollute himself did he? hehehe =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. "If I indulge in coffee then I pay to pollute myself."

    Naku, mapapaaway na ako kay Bronson. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like you are truly having merry holidays, Gabi! I mentioned something a bit similar about contemplation in my latest entry. It is certainly a time for that as well. =)

    Enjoy and savour the remaining days of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I first thought that Geraldine Brooks' novel was either a generic romantic novel, or a children's book... due to the cover. But it is a real literary treat, Meewa! :) Well worth reading. I shall get her other novels when I come across them.

    Yes, Louisa and Bronson shared the same birthday, and were so close in life that the daughter died two days after her father. *tear*

    Waaaa na-excite naman ako for the 26th!! Can't wait can't wait can't wait!

    And I feel guilty, I was busy around the time of your birthday and wasn't able to do more than offer an online greeting. Babawi ako someday, wait and see Mir!

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Meewa and Tata:

    Hehe of course I don't agree with the whole quote... but it's the essential message that struck me, most forcefully since I've been rather loose with money lately thanks to the Christmas bonus given employees.

    If coffee aids the conception of noble thoughts which lead to noble action, then how can toffee nut latte be deemed bad? :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahahahah i knew the toffee nut would come up! XD

    ReplyDelete
  8. Waaaaa you know me so well, Nicole dear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very wise, Gabi dear, and something I agree with on an intellectual level. However, I am still in that phase where I prefer the worldly, sophisticated and charming version, and have not yet achieved enlightenment. Hahahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Holidays, Cass! :) Haha, siyempre, if you can find a good and kind man who also happens to be sophisticated and charming... HUWAY NOT?!? ;p

    Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha hirap niyan! I can honestly say I have not yet met one who is all of those things. Tsk tsk. Well, we can hope, can't we.

    Happy holidays to you and your twinnie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. When we talk about travelling then there are many modes of transportation available for us like water transport, road transport, air transport and many more. However the cost of transportation varies depending upon the type you select. Travelers choose the type of transportation depending upon their urgency of travelling and financial positions.Seychelles holiday

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holiday Plans play a very crucial part. Planning everything in advance will reduce the stress and also make travel a pleasant a memorable one.Mauritius holiday

    ReplyDelete