Friday, November 28, 2008

The Beach & A Poet

     As the face of evil shows itself in faraway Mumbai, I am grateful to be living in a much safer country. You see, there are times when my dormant adventurous side tries to rise up, discontent with a life defined by routine. But it is far, far better to be "bored and alive," than living on the edge, exposed to danger and distress.

     Not that my life is boring, even with its very rigid, box-like schedule. There's simply so much to do!

     And then there are the weekends. Oh, how I live for the weekends! I am an introvert by nature, and I look forward to the precious few "me" hours, where I can read a book or practice some musical pieces. 

     This three-day weekend is more special than usual. We will be spending it by the sea shore in Batangas! I will have to bring my work along as it is "Quarterly Test Making Time" once again, and there's some M.A. homework that needs to be done, but I shall do all of these things surrounded by the soothing sound of waves breaking on the shore. Aaaaa... I can smell the tangy sea breeze already...

     But before I bid farewell to the Internet, let me share my newest literary discovery: CHRISTINA ROSSETTI (1830-1894). (For a bio, go to this page)

      For me, she is the female counterpart of Gerard Manley Hopkins. Actually, I think I much prefer Christina, if only because her poetry pierces a deeper part of me, owing to our common gender. She understood all too well the pains and longings of a woman's heart, and I shall forever respect her for having the strength to reject a lover when she discovered that his faith was not compatible with hers. She was human and could not help loving the man, but she never forgot to whom she owed her first love.

     Her Monna Innominata is unforgettable. No. 6 was the subject of a previous blog post, and below is No. 12:

If there be any one can take my place

And make you happy whom I grieve to grieve,

Think not that I can grudge it, but believe

I do commend you to that nobler grace,

That readier wit than mine, that sweeter face;

Yea, since your riches make me rich, conceive

I too am crowned, while bridal crowns I weave,

And thread the bridal dance with jocund pace.

For if I did not love you, it might be

That I should grudge you some one dear delight;

But since the heart is yours that was mine own,

Your pleasure is my pleasure, right my right,

Your honorable freedom makes me free,

And you companioned I am not alone.

 

Here is "At Last:"

 

Many have sung of love a root of bane:

While to my mind a root of balm it is,

For love at length breeds love, sufficient bliss

For life and death and rising up again.

Surely when light of Heaven makes all things plain,

Love will grow plain with all its mysteries;

Nor shall we need to fetch from over seas

Wisdom or wealth or pleasure safe from pain.

Love in our borders, love within our heart,

Love all in all, we then shall bide at rest,

Ended for ever life's unending quest,

Ended for ever effort, change and fear:

Love all in all; -- no more that better part

Purchased, but at the cost of all things here.

 

And this is an excerpt from one of her longer poems:

 

...Perhaps some saints in glory guess the truth,

Perhaps some angels read it as they move,

And cry to one another full of ruth,

"Her heart is breaking for a little love."

Tho' other things have birth,

And leap and sing for mirth,

When springtime wakes and clothes and feeds the earth.

Yet saith a saint: "Take patience for thy scathe;"

Yet saith an angel: "Wait, for thou shalt prove

True best is last, true life is born of death,

O thou, heart-broken for a little love.

Then love shall fill thy girth,

And love shall make fat thy dearth,

When new spring builds new heaven and clean

new earth."

 

*sniff* Beautiful!!!!

Have a safe three-day weekend, everyone! :)

9 comments:

  1. These are all so wonderful, Gabi. I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive. You got me interested in her ever since your entry on Rossetti months ago. She also has a brother poet, doesn't she? I almost placed the wrong order for him. =) Again, thanks so much for sharing. We need more women like her.

    God bless your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa... I have never been put to the test like you and Christina, I do not know if I have your strength.

    Awwwww... I foresee that this will be one of the many topics of discussion when we finally get to meet and have a cup of espresso "in between the moon and the sunset." ;) There's a G clef bookmark pa with your name on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, she had two brothers, each a respected writer in his own right. What a talented family!! :) Kinda reminds me of yours...

    ReplyDelete
  4. There were times when I didn't have the strength either, Gabi. =S
    I didn't exactly give up my no-boyfriend-since-birth status, but my heart betrayed me at one point nonetheless. Shows how deceitful the heart really is. BUT, this is your blog. I should save the rest for real heart-to-heart talks with you. =)

    Oh, oh, by the way, I dreamt of you last night! Perhaps because I viewed the video of your speech before going to bed. haha I wasn't even aware that I kept mentioning you to our family so Dandi had to ask, "Why do you keep talking about her?" I answered, "She's special." =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh we have this in common, Meewa. :( Until now my brain continues to struggle with my heart. It's true when they say that time heals all.

    Haha this is such a coincidence, I dreamt of you and your family a couple of nights ago! Maybe because I watched the video of Keith and Misha. Ooooooh and I got me a copy of Gottschalk's Marche des Gibaros, I was inspired by your playing. ;)

    Despite the many negative effects of the Internet, I will forever be grateful for the amazing technology that allows kindred spirits to meet and converse online. It made our very special friendship possible. =p

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...and this is for the two of you, gabi and mira: nothing compares to josquin's 'mille regrets' (listen to the "inner joy" despite the melancholy modal structure of this chanson)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55ImcX8SCe0&NR=1

    enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow... what an angelic, pure voice!! It's extremely inspiring/ cathartic... thank you for sharing, Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I should have reviewed this entry sooner. Thank you so much for this, Sir.
    Despite its title, it's resignation that I hear. How delicate and lovely!

    ReplyDelete