Sunday, November 30, 2008

Amazing Grace

 

            I’ve been searching for a signature scent for quite some time now, ever since my dad casually commented that my sister and I are now at an age when we should be known for having a distinct fragrance. We were never big on fragrances, and whenever we put some on it would be from a bottle of no-fuss, no-nonsense Johnson & Johnson Baby Cologne, but hearing this from Papa persuaded me into investing some of my hard-earned salary on a fragrance that was more expensive than our usual drugstore fragrances.

            I’m happy to report that I’ve found my signature scent: Philosophy’s “Amazing Grace.” It truly IS amazing! I’m no fragrance expert so I’ll just re-post the descriptions of other similar-minded (or similar-nosed?) women who favour the scent above the more “luxurious” brands:

             “... a uniquely feminine blend of soft, floral blossoms accented by a hint of light musk...”

            The scent is sooooo pleasant, I never get tired of spritzing it on (I bought the body spritz because it was considerably less expensive than the actual perfume). Perhaps the most amazing thing about this scent is that it is never overpowering, as I believe it is the essence of lightness! I read testimonials of women claiming that people commented on how good THEY smelled, instead of getting the usual “How good your fragrance smells!” comments.

In my case, I didn’t know that wearing a simple scent could be so much of a pick-me-upper! Also, it doesn’t attract attention because it is so mild... JUST what I wanted in a scent. People have to be standing REALLY close to you before they notice. I’ve received compliments on how good I smelled, mainly from my kindergarten students when I’m bending over them while helping them get a firmer grip on their pencil as they struggle to finish their writing assignment for the day. Hehe, I’ve had a five-year-old nuzzling me in the neck, cooing, “Teacher, how NICE you smell!” J

Why am I writing about grace in a bottle? Well, mainly because it’s the season of Grace, and I can’t help but wish that Grace can, truly, be put in a bottle and sprayed on people as needed. For the world is badly in need of Grace.

Look up “grace” in the dictionary, and one finds several meanings:

 

-- elegance or beauty of form, manner, motion, or action.

-- mercy; clemency; pardon: an act of grace. 

-- the freely given, unmerited favor and love of God.

-- the influence or spirit of God operating in humans to regenerate or strengthen them.

 

            While I cannot claim ownership of the first definition mentioned above, I am extremely grateful to be the beneficiary of the 2nd and 3rd definitions. Now THIS... this is Grace, and what makes it amazing is that we are so undeserving of it. And yet, nearly two millennia ago, God walked amongst us, in human form. God endured the unendurable, suffered all the cruelties and hardships that the evil world had to offer, and did all of this even before we took our first breath. He loved us, when we had not yet even come into existence. He loves us now, despite our sins and unworthiness. And He will continue to love us, though we may falter and disappoint Him and fall in and out of active communication with Him. He suffered what no other person could have suffered precisely because of His amazing love for us.

            How breathtaking, how truly amazing Grace really is! And so each day I spritz on this scent with a prayer, that I may be reminded each and every second of the wondrous gift I’ve been given, and that I communicate this gift of grace to others around me, not so I will be known as a “grace-ful” woman, but so I can begin to repay (though I acknowledge the impossibility of my quest) Him who sacrificed so greatly for all our sakes.

            Have a grace-filled Season! J

12 comments:

  1. WEH. Kinonek naman ang fragrance sa Pasko. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. BODYSHOP's Neroli Jasmin forevah!!! *sniff*

    ReplyDelete
  3. =p hahaha inggit ka lang sa "superior" scent ko! hehehehe. PEACE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. when i was a kid, i thought amazing grace was a love song about a girl named 'grace'. haha. but in a way, it really is a love song. i literally can't understand or relate with why God would love me. his love and grace are truly mind-boggling to the point of looking impossible and illogical. haay...

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I once was lost but now am found... was blind but now I see..."

    Yes, it really presents a problem for us mere mortals when we think about loving "as God loves..." AAAAAAA because we could never match it!!? But that doesn't mean that we ought not to even try.

    I hope you're feeling better, Mika!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gabi, you got me thinking about getting a fragrance as well! I went to the Lancome flagship store in GB5 and saw (or smelled?) one that I did like. I think it was Miracle Forever. It was a light, clean fragrance.

    But alas, I did not buy it... because I knew it would be expensive and because I thought about the other bottles of body spray I still had at home.

    And yes, God's Grace was, is and is yet to come. I really am grateful (a better word for what I feel escapes me) that God decided to save us. Because Jesus came, I can live a free life-- one that does not respond to the laws and conventions of this world, but to the higher Being that lives inside us. Because Jesus came, I am not afraid of death (well, maybe, the physical pain of dying) and Judgement Day. When I stand before God, He's not going to see me and all my shortcomings. He's going to see Jesus. And solely because of that, when Jesus takes the stand for me, I get to spend eternity with Him in heaven.

    Wow.

    Anyway, dear, we must meet up during the holidays! Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Denden dear, thank you for your thoughts... we miss you! And yes, we MUST meet up! ;) And we could go fragrance window shopping together ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful grace notes, Gabi. ;-)

    Funny how your friend up there mentioned Lancome's "Miracle".
    I intended it to be my signature scent after a friend gave me a bottle a couple of years ago. Now, I'm down to its last drops and I still can't get myself to buy a bottle no matter how much I'm convinced that no other perfume would suit me better. There's this voice in my head that keeps saying... "you're squandering good book money." hahaha But... hmmm... this post might help me reconsider. haha =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. cge nga, maghanap ako ng scent, malay mo may signature scent na "keith" haha. toinks

    ReplyDelete