Sunday, July 6, 2008

Surviving one month

   I did it! I've survived one month of juggling two teaching jobs and M.A. classes! :) Though definitely I could not have done it without His help.

   There are quite a number of things I've had to give up as a result of taking on so much. Probably the thing I miss the most is training with Sangkil Karasak, because the new training schedule conflicts with my teaching schedule in UP. I hope I can get a more workable schedule next semester.

   One month of teaching has changed me. I bumped into an old friend yesterday just before my M.A. class in Ateneo, and he remarked on how much my demeanor has changed. He said I still look young, but somehow I seemed more mature. I definitely do not look like an undergrad.

   I've learned so much in the past month, probably more than my five years in college put together. My optimistic childish heart is unchanged, but I've grown wiser and more patient. I think I'm finally growing up.

   A freshman student of mine stayed behind after class and asked me this question: "Ma'am, ito lang ba ang gusto niyong gawin? Magturo?"

   I was struck by how she added "lang," but took no offense because I saw that she didn't mean to give any.

   I also realized that I am at peace and quite joyful to be where I am, under the circumstances that He has engineered for me. I feel quite fulfilled, and while I may not be doing dramatic acts that will change the course of history or ensure the posterity of my name throughout the ages, I am content. :)

   I realize how lucky I am to be in a profession that is emotionally and spiritually fulfilling, though definitely not in the financial sense, hehe. I am very blessed to be able to live out my life according to the ideals and values I hold dear, and not have to compromise them the way some college graduates are forced to, upon entering the dog-eat-dog corporate world.

   This is all for now, I have to type up LP's and make quizzes now.

~ Congratulations to the Madama Butterfly cast and crew for a splendid job! I hope it gets restaged... on a weekend sana. :) ~

7 comments:

  1. wow you've gone a long way already since college! hehe go gabs.:p

    it's nice to hear you being content in what you do now.:D

    sana nga magawa mo pang magperform :) it would be a good break for u too

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey gabz! i saw you "in action" this week. i passed by one of the annex rooms kasi and there you were having a good time with your diction class :) congrats on the new job. kwentuhan mo ako sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bogz... haha, actually, teaching consists of 50% performing and 50% LP-making/ checking. :)

    But yes... aw, I'm starting to miss the D.P. days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Aritz! Oo nga, long time no chika tayo. Ang tagal na since our last conversation (was it at Choco Kiss?)! Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire you for choosing the most noble profession and nice to know that you are enjoying it as well as your studies at the Ateneo. The journey is endless and the rewards are bountiful keep it up. Bianx is too high on the Madz but is striving hard to get her diploma course this schoolyear and hopefully her BM by 2010. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats ate gabi!!! wow, it's so encouraging to hear your content with what your doing. i think i'm still a bit idealistic right now - i want to initiate some change in our country, especially with regards to culture. but i try not to think too big, it's a rather ambitious plan. whatever God has in store for me, i hope He will help me be content like you are. :) goooo ate gabi!

    ReplyDelete