Monday, June 9, 2008

Starting my teaching career / On Choices

 This. is. it.

 Tomorrow is the official start of my teaching career. I am lucky to be teaching in two schools, in the first (Regina Maria Montessori) I will be handling the following classes:
 

 English (Grade 3)
 English (HS II)
 English (HS III)
 Music (Grade 1)
 Music (Grade 2)
 Music (Grade 3)

   I also have teaching load in one CASA (Kindergarten) class and will be handling the choir in RMM as well. And come the second quarter, Asian Civilization (HS II) will be added to my already-daunting load.

   But that's not all!
    I will also be teaching part time in CMu (tuloy na tuloy na, they've even given me a pigeonhole of my very own! *childish squeal of delight*), I'm handling the Diction 1 class (MuPC 101) and will have some voice students as well.

   Also, I'm taking six M.A. units in the Ateneo and will be attending classes in the evening as well as on Saturdays.

  I'm so nervous about tomorrow, I'm practically hyperventilating as I type. I want to fulfill my duties well, but I can't help but wonder... did I take on more than I can handle?

   Oh well, there's only one way to find out.
~ ~ ~

    We RMM teachers attended a seminar a few weeks ago, and it involved us taking personality tests designed to let us know if we are compatible with our chosen profession. 

    And no, I'm not a loner. I'm a melancholic. It's not that I'm anti-social, but I'm a very private person by nature and really prefer to be alone.

    It's a challenge for a melancholic like myself to open up to people, which comes with teaching. This may be youthful idealism speaking, but I think that my desire to teach is greater than my fear of communicating. I hope I can be a successful teacher, without compromising my identity.
~ ~ ~
   There are great tests of character that come every once in a while... they require every ounce of courage and integrity one possesses, and truly necessitates praying for Guidance.
    I had one such test a few days ago. I was given a golden opportunity, as many would describe it... involving getting awarded and recognized in front of a veritable who's who of finance, government and education. 
    But at what cost? I would have to sacrifice my responsibilities, for with my teaching schedule that starts at 7 a.m. and ends at 7 or 8 p.m., it would be impossible for me to do as they asked and yet attend to my official commitments.
    With a heavy heart, I had to decline.
~ ~ ~

"I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference..."

29 comments:

  1. yey! so we'll still be seeing you in school? :)

    im really excited for you, who knows what God has in store for you as a teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup... you won't be rid of me that easy ;) hehe. God bless tomorrow on your first day of class! Yihee junior ka na... how does it feel to be an upperclassman? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salut, Teacher Kate! God bless you tomorrow! Hehe both our teaching careers are starting nga pala

    ReplyDelete
  4. goooood mooooornniiiinnngggg teaaacchheeeerrr gaaaabb...

    so...should we call you ma'am? : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. uhm, it feels like i'm nearing the perilous cliffs of graduation day :) but it's exciting too, we'll be having our recitals this year. God bless you too! how exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. waaaaaaaah!!! Teacher Gabi!!!!!! Hahaha i was supposed to take a Diction class but I couldn't 'cause of the schedule!!!!!! sayaaaaang! :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow teacher gabi!!! best of luck to your teaching career!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. "but I think that my desire to teach is greater than my fear of communicating."

    Go go go!! let the teaching encourage you to grow in ways you never thought possible. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha! oo nga, nagkita tayo 1st day na 1st day pa lang. Nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. teeeeeeenk yuuuuuuuuuu....

    haha i'd rather you didn't. :) makes me feel old...

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooooo recital year!! Do invite me! :) now THIS is exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. haha buti na lang hindi! medyo weird ang dating hahaha.

    i'm sure hinihintay ka na ng cond.dept, krina dear ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks so much! i'll need all the luck i can get hehe

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Nicole dear!! :) Yup... i've learned a lot, and it's only been one day. Looking forward to the months (and years??) ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So how was your first day? (save it if you have a separate entry for this ;p )

    You have so much enthusiasm (and a lot of classes X3 ) that it's inspiring for THIS colleague! haha

    ...And with MA s to boot. You're living a full life!
    Happy for you~

    ReplyDelete
  16. waaaah scary i am not yet fully and readily equipped. hehe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Great to hear you're definitely taking the road less traveled. My utmost respect goes to all teachers who have to put up with noisy, half-attentive and eternally restless kids like I was back in the day. Anybody who can do that day-in and day-out deserves all our respect and love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow supergabi! I'm sure you'll be able to handle all of that well. go gabi! XD

    ReplyDelete
  19. i want to be under you! i dint know! kaso hassle change mat.. :{ last voice minor ko na kasi. :( sayang. but anyway, having a pigeonhole is nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Sopranini! I hope you've had a successful first week of teaching/studying. I can understand how the sheer volume of what you have been given to do is daunting. But I firmly believe that God would not have given you these things if you could not take it on. It's always good to do things that are bigger than yourself, be it by size or amount (as in your case) or by the ideals that these embody. Just remember that these things you do not by your own strength but by God's grace -- His enabling power. It is by His strength that you got to where you are today and it will be by His strength too that you will move forward with supernatural amazing-ness. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amen!

    Thank you so much, Den, for your most encouraging words. You have no idea how much they meant to me, especially during "down" moments during the 1st week. Hope to see you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Haha! :) Yup, I loooooove my pigeon hole. I wanted to take a picture of it, for posting purposes here in my blog, but people might find it too weird na hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You're too kind, Francis! I'm trying my best :) Good luck with your application to the Herald! I pray you get in.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Aw, thanks Franco! :) See you around in CMu!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks so much!!! :) The kids are mostly very sweet and obedient, though of course, being kids, they can get very naughty and noisy hehe. But I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you kindly, Mic!! :)

    Being a teacher has made me regret my hellion days back when I was in St. Paul's. Talk about karma, haha. But I'm glad I'm doing something I love. I hope you get the same opportunity, too!

    ReplyDelete