Saturday, March 22, 2008

There's no place like home

Upon arriving home, I was seized by this intense desire to exercise... something I haven't had time to do for a month now (and yeees... I HAVE gained a considerable amount of weight. Sadly, grey brain matter action doesn't burn as much calories as physical activity).

I put on a t-shirt, jogging pants and my oh-so-sturdy black rubber shoes, swung my arnis sticks over my shoulder (just in case I got attacked by unfriendly rabies-carrying dogs), and jogged around our village at dusk.

It was my first time to set foot outside our house, to go around the neighborhood while not stuck inside a vehicle... it's actually weird, come to think of it, considering we've been living here practically my whole life.

My stomach, unaccustomed to such activity, felt extremely queasy after only twenty minutes or so of fastpaced jogging, so I slowed down to a brisk walk. And I'm glad I did! I got to look at the familiar-looking houses up close, and fully enjoy the cool night air caressing my overheated, sweaty skin.

Before tonight, I had no idea how clear the evening sky is above our village. 'Tis a rarety, to be sure, in polluted Manila. I could count the stars if I wished... the sky was THAT clear.

Before tonight, I had no idea how peaceful it could be as I meandered through the quiet streets on my own.

It felt nice to greet the neighbors "Good evening" as I encountered them, though they've never seen me before, I'm sure, as this was my first nocturnal venture.

I strolled to the village sari-sari store and bought mineral water. It seemed to me that cold agua never tasted so sweet, as I leisurely drank it on my way back to our little house.

Lesson learned: There is great beauty all around us... if we will only take the time to look. I needn't have gone all the way to Baguio to experience such communing with Nature, all I needed to do was step out of the house. :)

 "But ask the animals, and they will teach you,
       or the birds of the air, and they will tell you;

 or speak to the earth, and it will teach you,
       or let the fish of the sea inform you.

 Which of all these does not know
       that the hand of the LORD has done this? "

Job 12: 7 -- 9

1 comment: