Friday, July 6, 2007

My New Voice

"It is good to eat humble pie every now and then," my father once told me.

This is one of those times.

I now have a new voice. It is nowhere near pleasant-sounding, and is definitely not CMu voice major material (especially a 5th year voice major). It is raw, untrained, airy, small... think of all the adjectives you can assign an 'ugly' voice and my new voice will definitely fit the bill.

But the new technique is healthier. I can go higher, and although the high notes are "ugly," they're THERE. When summoned, they're there.

Not like before, with my "big, round, pretty old voice." I used to wonder why I could never go above B flat in my old technique... with B's and C's, they were hit-and-miss. There was always a 50% chance that I wouldn't be able to hit the note. Now I know why. Without getting into anatomical jargon, let's just say I was using heavy muscles for the top when that shouldn't be the case. My "big, old" voice wasn't my real voice at all. No wonder I would get tired after singing a couple of high notes, forte. I was relying on "air blasts," that's the layman's term for it. I blasted the air through my poor and abused vocal folds in order to reach the high notes. That's why I could not sing high notes softly! It explains so much.

I am enlightened. And I owe all this knowledge to my new voice teacher, Dean Montet.

This illumination comes pretty late for me. I am in my last year at CMu. I just feel so frustrated because I wasted 4 years of my life on a technique that was vocally wrong. However, they say that one good year of training can be pivotal in the life of a young singer.

I'm 20 years old. There's still time for me to learn. I'm just grateful that I did not suffer any permanent vocal injury from my old "blast" technique.

I'm just hoping that my recital will still push through. Rehearsals start in two weeks. I have two weeks to practice singing with this new technique. Realistically speaking, it takes YEARS to hone technique. I don't have years, I have a few weeks. And a few months of rehearsals before my first public performance using my new voice. I pray the time will be enough.

I know I should be happy... I know how lucky I am that Dean accepted me as his student. And it is truly an honor for me. However, I cannot help but feel sad. I miss my old sound. The new sounds coming out of my throat are better suited to a feline than a human being. :( 

I shall persevere. I will be patient. I will trust Dean and sing in this new technique... to ensure the future of my voice.

13 comments:

  1. yes! haha years from now, in your apartment in New York, on a rainy afternoon, as you are sitting beside the window looking out, the day after the encore at the _____, you will be reminiscing these days:) all well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabi!!! You were and you are still CMu's one of its best voice majors! Can't wait to watch your recital! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Gabi!!! You were and you are still CMu's one of its best voice majors! Can't wait to watch your recital! :)"

    Super true, Gabi! You ARE. And while we're at it... I don't think you can ever sound "unpretty." You HAVE a gorgeous voice kaya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kreenuh! Ate Rina! Thank you SO SO much for your kind words...

    *starts singing in new voice*
    "You raise me up so I can stand on mountains... you raise me up to walk on stormy seas... I am strong when I am on your shoulders... You raise me up to more than I can be..."

    (hugs and kisses)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hei hei hei!!! this calls for a treat since you've discovered a true gem! let's celebrate!!!!! wahahahahahahaha peace!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. right now i'm under a smiliar experience, that's why i can really relate to you. gosh after 4 years of this and that, writing and writing, now at your fifth year, biglang sasabihin sau, "i don't find the real BOGART in your works?" sigh so it's like finding ourselves again: our self-identity...the BOGART in my works, and the new-found voice in your performances. mas nauna ka nga lng na ma-illuminate kesa sakin. ako kya anong mangyayari?? huhuhu

    go gabs! i like the last song in your spanish song cycle! wahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey gabi we have to talk:) haha im feeling midvoice crisis!!! and i have to wait till the end of the sem before doing something about it. haha:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey ate gabi... still love your voice, and you of course... can't wait for your recital.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tomy! Keith! Katsie! Mayie! And of course, how can I forget Whehwhehwheh oopsie I mean Bogz. Thank you THANK YOU so much guys.

    Uy Kim kelan lunch date natin? *yihee!* ahehehe

    Go Keith! We can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi gabi! i haven't heard your "new voice" but i am sure it will sound just as beautiful as your "old voice". all the best!

    ReplyDelete