Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Book Review: THE BEAR AND THE NIGHTINGALE by Katherine Arden

The Bear and the Nightingale (Winternight Trilogy, #1)The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


“It is a cruel task, to frighten people in God’s name.”

Well no wonder I couldn't drag my sister away from this book, even for food and drink! :) It literally plucks you from your everyday existence and places you in 14th century Russia. And oh, a word of warning: don't read this book at night. The cover might seem very pretty and fairytale-ish, but trust me, some parts of this book are pure horror.

But what's a bit of horror compared with the delights of a well-written tale, with a strong female lead? It's about honor, service, and the dangers of zealotry and blind hatred in the guise of Christianity. The only reason I gave it four stars instead of five was because I found the pacing slow going in the first half of the book, but the second half more than made up for the necessary character development.

And I am so lucky that my sister bought books 2 and 3!!!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment