Saturday, June 7, 2014

Year Seven


It's going to be my seventh year of teaching. Oh golly, how quickly time passes! And it's been a wonderful summer. Although I didn't have the luxury of going to the beach or leaving Manila, I realize now that I didn't have to. My life right now is so peaceful and orderly that I don't need to get away from it. I don't need to escape from life.

I'm not saying my life is perfect. Of course, no one's life is. Mine is far from it. But in terms of wants and needs, all of mine are met, and so I have no right to complain. In fact, I think I need to look for more opportunities to share my blessings.

A busy, peaceful and productive life. I think this is the ideal, and I'm blessed to be able to say that mine is all of the above. It is far from glamorous, and I am far from attaining the kind of wealth or power that the media would have us believe is the ideal life. But then again, the day we believe in what the media tells us is the day we became mindless automatons. Instead of a high salary, I get paid in hugs. And power? Oh yes… a teacher has a LOT of power. I get to touch lives EVERY DAY, I make a difference EVERY DAY. In my mind, THAT'S power.

This past summer was wonderful. Our book club had two highly successful events, and I was able to play piano for around half an hour every morning. Starting the day right with Bach or Handel, then capping it off with Beethoven and Chopin in the evening.

Strangely enough, I wasn't able to read a lot of non-work related books. I tried finishing one of my several Thomas Mann books (highly recommended by a friend) but the pace of his writing is at stark contrast with my own fast-paced life. Some other summer, Mann my man.

And so here's to Year Seven! Although now I have to add yet another description to my ever-growing list of responsibilities: that of School Registrar. It allows me to tap into my secretarial and clerical skills. Who knew that encoding and typing certifications could be so much fun? And yes, I'm not being sarcastic. Sure, most people would find that work boring or tedious. And I suppose it is… IF your attitude towards it is such. As I grow older, I find that a lot of things can seem so different simply by changing one's attitude!

I enjoy the simple challenge of typing the neatest, most professional-looking document I and our printer can produce. I consider organizing files very important. If I can organize a small pile of files a day, and I do it every day, that good work adds up. And it has a ripple effect to the other kinds of work you do!

All work is precious and ennobling in the eyes of the Lord. And in these difficult times, it is no use to complain about how heavy one's workload is. I am just thankful to be employed, when so many others are jobless. I am grateful to have more than enough to eat, when so many others go hungry. I am grateful and welcome the challenge of raising funds for others, because I earn enough to keep me clothed, to buy the occasional book or pretty shirt, and to have coffee in a café from time to time.

Year 7, you're going to the most epic one yet. Here's to another year full of laughter, heart ache, triumph, defeat, and ultimately, another year of FUN. :) Oh, the non-stop action and drama of a teacher's life! There's no better job in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment