Saturday, September 7, 2013

The Good Old-Fashioned Days

Image from http://aweekly.blogspot.com/2013/02/facebook-more.html

In the past couple of months, quite a few of my friends have given up Facebook. The amount of dismay it caused their Facebook friends is a pretty good reflection of how much this social media site has come to mean to us modern-day Filipinos. Their giving up Facebook has given me cause to reflect on just how much Facebook has impacted my life…. And the answer is: A LOT.

Let’s take an ordinary lunch break as an example. During our brief work lunches together, my dad commented on how my brother and I spent most of the ten-minute lunch break on our smart phones, checking Facebook and Twitter, and hastily gobbling down our humble meal in as little as two or three minutes. “I see the same thing in restaurants!” said he. And it’s true. You see families gathered around a table, but most (if not all) have their heads bowed, fiddling with their gadgets instead of conversing.

I admire people who can take Facebook breaks, and I admire those who can quit it, cold turkey, all the more. I don’t think I can!

I suppose it depends on how you use it. Facebook can be a HUGE time suck if you let your guard down. But if you spend only a couple of minutes a day, I think it can do a world of good!

I mainly use Facebook for work, believe it or not. J Part of being a teacher is knowing one’s students, and knowing how to bring information to them. In our school, we don’t forbid our teachers the use of Facebook precisely because we know how useful it is! We have groups for our classes, our clubs, and of course, we teachers also use Facebook to communicate with the parents of our students (especially OFW’s, whose sole means of seeing their children grow is through the pictures of class activities posted online by our Principal and their child’s teacher).

Another reason I use it is to help me keep track of what’s happening in the lives of friends. As one grows older, one’s friends tend to scatter all over the world. I marvel at how the internet can make us feel as if we’re only a few meters apart, instead of thousands of kilometers. And I’ve met some of my closest friends through the Internet, so I’m forever a fan.

I really wonder how they did things back in the good ol’ days without technology. Life was much simpler and went at a slower pace, but the same essential, existential problems faced us, even then. Questions like “What is the good life? What does it mean to be human? What is the purpose for which I was born?” will be perpetually asked for as long as the human race exists. And perpetually, we will continuously FEEL the huge divide between the world of ideas, of the soul… and the world of the flesh, of harsh physical reality. It’s part of what makes us human. Poets like Longfellow chafed at the tensions of life brought about by the daily human struggle.

“The scholar and the world! The endless strife,
The discord in the harmonies of life!
The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books;
The market-place, the eager love of gain,
Whose aim is vanity, and whose end is pain!”

My profession is an old-fashioned one, and it’s a perfect fit! Old-fashioned people are drawn to teaching because education is the last bastion against lawlessness and looseness of morals, against worldliness and secularism. I guess that’s why I’m drawn to old-fashioned things like brewed tea in pretty tea cups, physically hand-held books over e-books, pianos over electronic keyboards, snail-mail letters over hastily-typed PM’s, glasses over lenses.

But for communication, nothing beats the usefulness of Facebook. The challenge, I suppose, is to limit the use modern technology and not let it rule us. The tyranny of technology only occurs when  we let it.


On a side note: It’s the Manila International Book Fair next week! Sept. 11-15, 2013, at the SMX Convention Center in SM Mall of Asia! See y’all there!

No comments:

Post a Comment