Saturday, August 3, 2013

Cherry Eye




I’ve always thought I was a simple person with “shallow joys” and few needs. Give me a good book and coffee and all is right in the world. But lately, something’s happened that made me realize that, simple as my joys are, they’re not inexpensive (due to my tendency to visit Fully Booked more often than Booksale). Nor have I been a very good steward of my finances. L

Luna, my Rottweiler princess, suddenly developed “cherry eye,” or, a prolapsed third gland. At first we thought that she pierced her eye accidentally on something sharp, but as it turns out, cherry eye does not have an exterior cause. It’s got something to do with the weak connective tissues of certain dogs. In other words, some dogs are simply born with it.

The thing is, cherry eye is not painful for the dog, but if left untreated, it can lead to further infections, pus, and eventual blindness. So I immediately arranged for her to undergo surgery at the vet’s.

The logical part of me knows that, if you remove all sentiment and romantic notions about our furry best friends, a dog is a dog and a pet is simply a pet. But my heart does not recognize that fact, and even though the cost of the surgery was a third of my teacher’s salary, I paid it gladly. And I shall never forget the terror I felt as I brought my trembling Luna inside the operating room.

Thankfully, the operation went well, and Luna is now recovering at home, with a daily dose of antibiotics and some topical ointment to help her recuperate. However, it looks like her OTHER eye’s third gland is about to pop out as well. L And so I fear I shall be bringing her back to the vet’s very soon.

My dad got the three of us siblings our own dogs because he wanted to teach us responsibility. I’m beginning to realize the wisdom behind his decision.

Bringing up a dog is not for the faint of heart. It really requires a great deal of commitment, emotionally and financially. (And chronologically?... I mean, you have to make TIME for your dog)

Someone once said that “Money is a good thing, for two reasons: it’s nice to have money so you can help others out of a jam, and it’s nice to have when you get sick.”

I’ve always believed in the first, but it’s only now I’m realizing how nice it is to be able to afford decent health care, not just for myself but for my dog.


So… yes, I’m afraid this whole affair has made me very money-conscious… but for the RIGHT reasons. Sayonara, Fully Booked. Adios, fancy coffee. Now… how to make more of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment