Thursday, April 21, 2011

On Being Catholic

Image taken from here

Lately, the Catholic Church's been all over the news (and not in a very favorable light, either) thanks to a priest kicking out RH Bill supporters from a mass and some prelates making nigh-near seditious comments about our President.

It's gotten to a point that RH Bill supporters are being exhorted to bring handy gadgets to record priest's Lenten sermons... that fellow Catholics are seriously contemplating leaving the Church... and within the Church, the divide continues to grow between so-called "genuine Catholics" (by virtue of their "correct" stance re: the controversial bill) and other Catholics with "malformed consciences" who do not share their opinion.

I am Catholic.

I am pro-RH Bill.

All this media hullabaloo has become very personal to me, to say the least.

I'm sure there are thousands of others out there, like me.

This is why I'm glad I "stumbled" upon this gem of a reminder in the blogosphere, and I hope others will find it enlightening as well.

"To me, the Church is kind of like having an alcoholic mother: majestic one minute; engaging in some cringingly non-Christ-like behavior the next. But no matter what, she’s your Mother. No matter what, you love your mother. And the way you love her is you notice when she goes wrong, you grieve for her, you mourn for her, and then you silently resolve to help her do a little better. You don’t pretend not to see her faults and get all self-righteous and militaristic if someone attacks her—but you also don’t kick her when she’s down..."
Heather King, Shirt of Flame
(Source: Happy Catholic)

For the past several months, Filipino Catholics have been praying the Oratio Imperata for the Protection of Human Life towards the end of each mass. I know of some RH Bill supporters who refused to pray it, yet I find no conflict between my personal stance and this very-diplomatically worded prayer. I believe it's for ALL Filipinos, for both RH Bill supporters and detractors.

This Lent, let's pray for our country and our people. With one voice, let's put aside our differences, and come together... disregarding religious denominations and political stances, and pray that the Resurrected Christ guide us to a brighter tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. it's so sad, being divided over an issue as if it were the central defining belief of your faith. have people forgotten the great commandment? :S it's sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right Mika, and I'm sure we're causing Him a lot of grief with our unloving behavior.

    I guess we all need to remember the difference between faith and an institution (and its leaders).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ako naman I'm pro-life. :)

    It also hurts me that our faith is being treated this way by the media, and that we're divided, not only as a nation but also as Filipino Catholics :( Both "sides" need to be more charitable, after all we're in the same family :)

    I agree, Gabi! Let's pray for guidance. Let's ask questions, too, and try to understand why we have our own stance. Let's help all our friends understand the issue too :)

    I just read my Fr Brown book, btw. Ang galing nga ni GK Chesterton! Fangirl ako. My book only has two stories though. When Christian returns yours, can I borrow? :D Do you know how many Fr Brown stories he wrote?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nicole!! Tama ka... communication and dialogue is key, not personal attacks (though I myself need to be more charitable as well... Gulp! Mea culpa! Mea maxima culpa!).

    Re: Father Brown, my edition has two "collections" and something like 13-15 stories... "The Innocence" and "The Wisdom of Father Brown." (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Father-Stories-Penguin-Popular-Classics/dp/0140622594)

    According to http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Father-Brown-Mystery/dp/014009766X , there are four more "collections."

    Yup when Christian returns, you're most welcome to borrow my copy! Best P100.00 I ever spent!

    I also have G.K.C's "Everlasting Man" and "The Man Who Was Thursday!" Isn't he maaaaahvelous? :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes he is a genius! I'm indignant we never took him up in English class in UP!!! grarr >:(

    ReplyDelete