Sunday, February 13, 2011

A Perfect Day

I daydream a lot. Sometimes I daydream about a perfect day. It would go something like this...

Wake up at 6:30 for a morning jog around the village.
A leisurely breakfast at the late hour of 8 a.m.
A thirty-minute vocalise before the piano at 9 a.m.
Browsing through Fully Booked Serendra's massive collection from 10 to 12:30 ...
Lunch with an old friend ... and coffee for desert... and since our conversation's so great, we'll go on talking until after dinner...
I come home to my personal library and stay up until midnight, reading my latest Thomas Merton book...

But my life (and everyone else's) is far from ideal.

I consider myself lucky if I get 7 hours of sleep a night.
Exercise is something I'm only recently trying to get back into... after three years (and - - additional pounds) of inactivity.
I'm at work 11 hours a day... sometimes more.
My only "rest day" is spent studying or working so I can tick off a few items from my never-ending to-do list.

Negativity released, catharsis done.

Going to mass today (and every Sunday) is a necessary activity for me. I literally recharge with the hour spent in my family's company (and the Lord's!). Earlier this morning, I realized something:

Perfect days don't come everyday for a reason. It's like having Christmas everyday. It's no longer special. We can't appreciate it anymore. There's nothing to look forward to with anticipation.

Tomorrow is the 14th of February. For some, it will be a perfectly romantic day spent with The One.

As for me, I will be spending it with my students. Working, working, always working... but when we offer all our exhaustion, all our efforts to Him... He will make our burden lighter. He will give us the strength to continue as we strive to make His world a better place.

Let us pray that tomorrow will be a perfect day... a day of perfect obedience, perfect humility, perfect trust in Him.

Aside: What would YOUR perfect day be like? :)

3 comments:

  1. i'll be spending valentine's with my piano, haha, nothing romantic :P

    my perfect day would be one full of reading, from morning till night. or it would be one with friends in EK or something, haha. or it would be spending the day some "celebrity" i really admire - like hiromi or william lane craig. *fan boy scream!* or it would be one in which i feel God's nearness the whole day - it would be some kind of religious/mystical/miraculous experience. i would loooove that. maybe someday :)

    happy valentine's ate gabi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't picture a 'perfect day' anymore. let's just say i've tried all my projected 'perfect days' and they've never really been as perfect as that. yeah.

    or maybe i'm just in a rut right now. yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mika: Belated Happy Heart's Day too!

    @Cato: You have a blogspot account pala, hihi! Feel free to share your perfect day when you're able to visualize it na. =) Good luck with the job hunting!

    ReplyDelete