Saturday, December 4, 2010

Reflections from a Teacher's Retreat: The LEPI Manila Conference, Dec. 3-4, 2010



Top: Dr. Ma. Victoria Carpio-Bernido and Dr. Christopher Bernido
Bottom: Dr. Josette Biyo

Once in a while, one gets to attend a conference that's really special, one wherein you meet people whose lives and deeds are so heroic and inspiring that you can't help but be infected with their passion, self-sacrifice and nobility of heart. Tata and I were extremely fortunate to have been sent on such a conference by our employers.

The LEPI (Leaders In Education Programme International) Conference was held in the Ateneo, and Tata and I left for two entire work days earlier this month in order to learn from the best teachers of the country, including some from Singapore, Germany, Australia, Brunei, etc. And boy oh boy, did we learn!

But more than the newfound knowledge that filled our brains, we got to interact with real-life heroes and let their passion touch our souls. And among all the leading educators from the different countries, the ones who stood out were undoubtedly the three Filipinos whose pictures are featured above.

The Bernidos and Dr. Biyo are three of the world's most outstanding teachers. I've read of them and their achievements, and actually, THEY were the primary reason for my being so excited to go to the LEPI Conference!! It makes me so emotional to think that people like them exist, and it makes me so proud to be a Filipino teacher. Meeting them in the flesh... exchanging words with them... was an experience I will never forget. (To read about the Bernidos, click here. For more on Dr. Biyo, go to this site)

I will always remember what Dr. Christopher Bernido told me when we spoke for a bit:

"You (young teachers) are the hope of the country."

Not your students, but you.

Whenever I get a bit stressed and bummed out from the emotional rollercoaster job of teaching, I'll look back on the two days of the LEPI Conference, and I just KNOW that it has given me reserves of strength and inspiration which will help me through rainy days ahead. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment