Saturday, October 24, 2009

Post - Disaster Thoughts

   It's been quite a while since my last "real" blog post, and for good reason. First there were the typhoons, and then an unusual amount of work.  There were times that I would have an hour free during the weekends, which I'd normally utilize for blogging, but then I would sit in front of my Lappy Toppy and feel at a loss. What to write? What to say that hasn't already been said? 

   But last night's sermon by Fr. Mario on the good that came out of Ondoy made me reflect on the day's experiences.

   I was quite weary when I attended the 7 pm mass with my family, as I had risen early that morning in order to line up for COMELEC registration at 6:45 a.m. Lining up for government offices is not something new for me, as I've done my fair share since starting to work in 2008. I was expecting a lot of irritable clerks, impatient and "kapal mukha" people, long lines, etc. But I am happy to report that my voters' registration experience was quite painless and downright full of surprises.

    For instance, I witnessed a young man (dressed in foppish clothes; someone who'd easily fit the mental image of a stereotypical "vain and shallow metrosexual") help an old lady go up the staircase. I was also the recipient of gentlemanly assistance, offered twice by unassuming young men who would make way for me in a crowded line at the photocopying machine or at the corridor. The ladies who manned the faulty photocopying machine booth were also kind and patient despite the huge number of people they had to service.

    Of course, we had the usual "kapal mukha" people who'd try to cut in line if they could get away with it, but it seemed to me that they were less than the usual amount. And I was surprised with the COMELEC people who serviced us. They were quite pleasant and polite. You see, I've gotten used to being screamed at like cattle in government offices, so it was a refreshing change to have people treat you decently as a human being.

   All this was fresh on my mind when Fr. Mario read the gospel (Mk 10:46-52) on Jesus and Bartimaeus. He reminded us how timely the blind man's prayer was: "Lord, that I may have eyes to see." 

   In the aftermath of such widespread devastation, now more than ever we need to have the eyes of faith, to keep believing that God will make good come out of Ondoy, and to hold on to such faith in the absence of evidence.

   Fortunately for me, I can easily believe this because I have seen proof of the good that Ondoy has brought. I have witnessed people's outpouring of generosity and neighborly love. I have seen changes in strangers' behavior. People are now more considerate, and altogether more kind and patient. When I think of the behavior I witnessed in yesterday's registration and compare it with my other pre-Ondoy government office experiences, I can't help but acknowledge the considerable changes for the better. And it gives me hope for our country. :)

   A side story:

   I need to vent out my frustration, although this is several weeks late. The week after Ondoy, my family and I attended a different mass than usual. The small-minded priest (who shall remain anonymous) spoke up during his sermon about the RH Bill, and how the typhoon Ondoy and Pepeng were signs of our country's lawlessness and faithlessness, and that it was due to the priesthood's unfailing prayer vigils that Pepeng re-routed and avoided Manila. "We have done our part," he said. "Now let us hope that the politicians and people in power will do their part, and stop this RH Bill from being passed."

    When I heard this, I think my eyeballs were bulging out abnormally and the expression on my face was far from my peaceful default mode. AAaaaaaaAAAA!!!

   Thank goodness this priest is not representative of the entire Catholic church.

1 comment:

  1. Glad your writing again Gabi. :) there is enough goodness within us to turn this world into a beautiful place. we just need to have the eyes to see it.

    speaking of that priest, lahat naman cguro ay lalaki ang mata pagnarinig yan.hehehe.


    ReplyDelete