Saturday, June 6, 2009

My Second Year of Teaching

     A new academic year is starting, and I am so excited/nervous! My lesson plan notebook lies on top of our Principal’s desk, beautifully decorated with a gorgeous blue and white floral paper print (wrapped in plastic, of course). My class rules are carefully written down on yellow pad paper, which will serve as my “kodigo” of sorts as I meet up with my new students. My posters for my extra-curricular offerings (namely, basic arnis and piano lessons) are cheerfully posted in strategic locations around the small school. My brand new white pen markers and board erasers have been lovingly placed in a huge white box which will also house extra ballpens (to be lent to students in cases of emergency... why fight the inevitable?) and even has space for papers with assignments and quizzes. Ah... the life of a teacher. J

      I have “survived” my first year of teaching, and am about to embark on my second. Although the first year hasn’t been easy, it was a LOT of fun! I learned so many things along the way, and thanks to this amazing book (“The First Days of School” by Harry and Rosemary Wong), I’ve picked up lots of classroom management tips that I will implement this school year. Hopefully,  it will make me a more effective teacher and will lessen the pressure that comes along with the job.

      I will be handling the following: All the high school Music classes, Asian Civilization for high school sophomores, Casa/Kindergartan (Assisting Teacher), Speech and Drama (an elective for high school sophomores), and the Theater Club, with Choir, Basic Arnis, and Piano Lessons on the side.

      *super duper excited*

      I was reading this short but excellent book, “Letter to A Young Teacher” by Joseph V. Landy, S.J. I especially liked his post script, wherein he quoted from the Robert Bolt play on the life of Sir Thomas More, A Man For All Seasons.

      More: Why not be a teacher? You’d be a fine teacher. Perhaps even a great one.

Rich: And if I was, who would know it?

More: You, your pupils, your friends, God. Not a bad public, that... Oh, and a quiet life.

Father Landy goes on:

“For the best part of being a teacher is that it is more than just another job. It is almost a sacred calling. All teachers are called, not only to instruct pupils in their subject... but to be good influences on them...

Look back on your own school days. Remember how much you looked up to your teachers for guidance and inspiration? Those who taught us in college we remember mostly for what they did to our minds. But those who taught us in primary and secondary school made their mark on our characters, our ways of thinking about life, our ambitions, our immortal souls.

... To all young teachers who read these pages. Remember what you have been called to. Your power for good is enormous. Although quiet, unknown, and far from the eyes of would-be important people, your life as a teacher is very important in the eyes of God. Stay always aware that those eyes are on you, and you’ll be a fine teacher. Perhaps even a great one.”

I remember, Father. I remember. And with His help, I will someday be worthy of being called “Teacher Gabi.”

Now... I MUST practice getting up at 4:30 tomorrow morning, as this will be the time I have to wake up everyday for the next 9 months!! :) 

22 comments:

  1. great; now I try to picture the 'Forms and Analysis' classes I will be handling this year, and once more struggle to make students go beyond the lessons I am teaching; thanks for this post Gabi

    ReplyDelete
  2. excited for you as well gabi! :) enjoy the schoolyear ahead!


    sir, pa-sit in sa class niyo :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sit-in? what for.........? you had enough of me for a year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so many classes! where do you find the energy?! i really admire your attitude, i hope you have another fun year teaching :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're already worthy of that title, Gabi. =)
    Wonderful excerpt from the play. Thank you for sharing.
    May God continue to be with you as you steer through another challenging yet exciting year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome Sir! Have a great sem ahead! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Domini!! Looking forward to Thursday, sana pwede ka :) Ikaw rin, have a great school year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Mika! Hehe I really do believe that Someone Up There is helping me do all the things that I need to do. :) Have a blessed school year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw Meewa dear, thank you for your unceasing encouragement! Hehe although I think you're biased in my favor, I really appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw thank you Meewa! :) Hehe although I think you're biased in my favor, I really appreciate your unceasing encouragement :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. you still teach college, right? and you have classes for masters? :D energy! after reading this post, i don't know how will i survive my own first semester as a masters student, along with my work at the AFP... oh, and piano and voice lessons in the afternoon/weekends, two children's choirs, wedding engagements, and a household and husband to take care of :D have a good school year ahead, teacher gabi!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wahaha yes I have 7 units teaching load in UP and 6 units M.A. classes. But I think between the two of us, you have the busier schedule.

    Workaholics unite! :) God bless you too Ate Em!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Go Keith!! :) Kelan pasukan niyo? 8th din ba?

    ReplyDelete
  14. i just read this today! :) and i remember what laszlo imparted this year. he said someone told him once that a bad teacher can negatively affect 30 generations of children. or something to that effect. of course, there's the vice versa but imagine that. 30 generations of kids. wow.

    its why he encourages us to continue developing, growing and being flexible about our teaching methods to kids. do things "for the sake of the children". :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Gabi, it was comforting to read this post. It made me realize why I was doing what I was doing...(uh, were actually on the same boat), I will also be teaching high school music, glee club plus a chorale from a certain school and I am already drowning with paperwork and lesson plans... but unlike you I have put all my plans for MA/MM classes on hold..di kaya ng powers ko.....goodluck to us all..cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ate gab, may I use this for the Cmusc newsletter?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Whoa! Haha na-pressure ako. :) Hehehe sure... thanks so much Marga!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I seem to remember Dr. Laszlo telling us why he got into music in the first place... it was because he had an amazing Music teacher as a child daw. :) Grabe yung potential ng teacher to touch lives! Conversely, grabe din ang potential damage that a "bad" teacher can do. :( haha but that's a different story

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi! :) Thanks for the encouragement. Two months down, eight more to go! Woohoo go go go teachers! I hope you can continue with your m.a. next school year, pag naka-adjust ka na sa sched mo :) All the best!

    ReplyDelete