Friday, May 22, 2009

A Love Poem Found Amongst The Pages Of A Second-hand Book

   While there's nothing quite like the scent of a brand new paperback, there is much to be said for purchasing second-hand books. Not only do you end up saving hard-earned pesos, but you end up possessing a bit of history. As the protagonist of one book said, "Perhaps there is some secret sort of homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers. How delightful if that were true."

     Imagine my surprise when I discovered a love poem while turning the pages of my second-hand book, "For the Love of God." Reading it brought tears to my eyes.

     This is what it said:

     (Dated 2-7-03)
     (Illustration of a heart with the words I love you, O.V. below)

          *Aside:  Am not really sure if the initials are O.V. ... they could be D.J... the   
            handwriting is a bit messy

     I love you divinely
     Divine Valentine
     You're the apple of my spiritual eye
     Your pumpkin-colored robe of the sky
     Tells me you hear
     Tells me you're near
     Tells me, my dear
     I love you divinely too
     No one compares
     No one dares
     My heart is yours forever



   Hmmm... come to think of it, it could be addressed to Jesus! Or God! :) 

   Regardless of whom it's meant for, I was deeply touched by the poem. I wonder whatever happened to its author. There's no name on the book's cover. 

    Hehe. What a pleasant surprise. :)

7 comments:

  1. I love the poem, it's so touching.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think it's D.V. for Divine Valentine.

    and of course, it really is addressed to someone divine, in our case, God. something in the words used e. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, makes me want to write stuff in my books and then sell them. what a pleasant surprise indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roxy, Mayie, Sir Baes, and Meewa: Sobrang nakakilig diba? :)

    Mika: Makes one think of inserting a letter amidst the pages of a book... meant to be found and read by your grandchildren dozens of years later.

    Kim: Henyo! I didn't think of it. *thumps head with a book* "Divine Valentine." You're right!

    ReplyDelete