Thursday, April 30, 2009

The 98th General Commencement Exercises of UP Diliman

   The past week offered me the opportunity to be a marshal at both the College and University graduation ceremonies at UP. Both proved to be very memorable and sentimental occasions, as I proudly stood at the sidelines and watched former classmates go onstage with their parents.

   
   Was it only a year ago that I myself graduated? One year... I marvel at how this span of time can simultaneously seem like centuries ago... and at the same time, seem like mere weeks.

    
   I do not know if I will still be called upon to serve the college or the university next year to act as a marshall. But I would be glad to do so. Despite the demands on our free time, it is worth it... if only because it allows us an opportunity to reminisce and rekindle the fires that burn within, the ones that fuel our desire to be of service to our community and to our country.

~ ~ ~ ~ 
Off-topic: 

I do wish that those activists had chosen a more opportune time to demonstrate, instead of ruining the climactic U.P. Naming Mahal song at the end of the ceremony.
:(

Like what Rio Alma said in his speech:

Laging armadong pakikibaka ang nása isip na tanging alternatibo. Ang hindi mahilig sa armadong rebolusyon ay nabibitag naman sa pagiging cynical at pagwawalang-bahala. Ano’t anuman, napopoot man o nagwawalang paki, nalilimot niya ang paggálang sa tungkulin bílang mamamayan at ang pagkilála sa mga paraan ng pagmamahal sa bayan.

Ganito ang pakiramdam ko kapag nakakikíta ng mga sulat sa pader ng UP na: “Ibagsak si GMA!” “Mabuhay ang NPA!” Ekspresyon ito ng politika ng poot. May karapatan ang sumulat na ipahayag ang nararamdaman niyang galit kay GMA at paghanga sa NPA. Ngunit, at magagalit sa akin ang mga kaibigang tibak, bakit kailangan niyang sirain ang pintura ng kalinisan sa pader ng UP para ipahayag ang kaniyang politika ng poot? Hindi ba’t sinisira niya ang pera ng bayan na ginastos sa pintura at pagpipintura ng pader? Wala bang ibang paraan para ipahayag ang kaniyang poot? Para sa akin, ang gayong pagsulat sa pader ng UP ay hindi nalalayô sa totoong nakasusuklam na gawain ngayon ng mga trapo na magpagawa ng mga karatula’t istrimer para maipagmalaki ang kahit isang munting serbisyo publiko na ang totoo’y ginastusan ng pondo ng bayan. 

~ ~ ~ ~ 

   Let me end by quoting from the Graduation Message of UP President Emerlinda Roman, which I found most inspiring:

   "To you, the batch of 2009, I saw now: UP is flawed, as all human institutions are; but it remains the best that your country can offer. And a UP education was offered to you as a gift from the Filipino people, in recognition of your own gifts and your willingness to submit to a discipline -- both intellectual and physical -- more demanding than what you might have found elsewhere.

    Use it now to good purpose. Use it honestly, and humbly, and bravely. Use it to help others rise above the poverty of their circumstances and the narrowness of their imaginations. Use it in the service of a country that will require every man and woman to do more than their best if it is to survive in these troubled times."


CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE GRADUATES!!!

11 comments:

  1. "I do wish that those activists had chosen a more opportune time to demonstrate, instead of ruining the climactic U.P. Naming Mahal song at the end of the ceremony.
    :("


    I AGREE. I saw you from afar that day! Too bad we didn't bump into each other anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Isang taon na pala ang lumipas since you gave the commencement speech!

    Anyway, I think it would be good for all of us to move beyond this politics of hate for us to finally progress as a nation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. even rio alma has that sentiment. speech from where? he gave a speech during grad? sori na sori na di ako pumunta ng univ grad! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am an admirer of your spirits Gabi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Gabi. Even in Visayas, after the UP Naming Mahal ended, activist outside the hall shouted to the top of their voice that destroyed the solemn ceremony of the night. I just wonder when will UP get rid of these sentiments and focus more on academics for national development…Or am I just dreaming for the impossible? Hay…

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, sayang! :) Hehe. It was sooooo hot that day, no?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bilis ng panahon, no?

    Yes I agree with you. Enough with the hating! We need more loving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha ayan kasi... absent ;p

    Yes he was the commencement speaker during the University Grad. And to think, he's an "activist" from the old days na.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Sir... I think we are kindred spirits po

    ReplyDelete
  10. Waaaah let's keep dreaming, Leomel!

    At least in UP Visayas, the activists had the grace to wait until AFTER the UP Naming Mahal. Hehe. Sa amin, bandang beginning. The choir leading the song actually stopped singing at one point out of confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember during my BM Voice graduation as I was tasked to sing both anthems, the same activism caused me to eat the first word of the second stanza of UP Naming Mahal and I was on the podium with the microphone duh...I was a bit startled because they emerged from the bushes...heng! Nice work during grad ceremonies, I admire your strength and dedication to gather us graduates kahit makukulit kung minsan. We lovingly refer to you us our mother superior.

    ReplyDelete