Sunday, May 4, 2008

On Lea Salonga

I was idly channel-surfing this morning, looking for a good program to watch which would justify killing an hour since I had that amount of time before our family would leave the house (yes I am in run-on mode), when I came across the Jescom show, LIGHT TALK featuring Fr. Chito Tagle, and he was interviewing the pride of Filipinos everywhere, Lea Salonga.

Now, I've been an admirer of Lea's since I was a little girl (which Filipino isn't? If her historical Broadway accomplishments weren't enough, there's the fact that she did the singing voice for not one, but TWO Disney Princesses! Hehe, my Disney-babe side is showing. I might argue that being a Disney princess voice is worth winning a dozen Tony's.), but now I am a certified GROUPIE!! Where do I sign up for her official fan club?

You see, this was the first time I heard her speak in an interview, and I had no idea how remarkably bright, witty and funny she is... how gracious, humble and deeply religious this amazing woman is. Dressed very simply in a button-down polo and her hair in a no-fuss ponytail, she completely won me over with her warmth and laughter, her incredible sense of humor and down-to-earth manner.

Before, I respected her artistry, but now my admiration has increased a hundredfold. She is worthy of emulation in every way, and we are lucky to have her as our ambassador of good will abroad! :)

(Incidentally, she keeps a blog. Unlike a lot of celebrity blogs out there, hers is full of wonderful insights and is actually worth reading.) :D

The interview featured a video of her wedding, and I was incredibly moved and couldn't help it, I was crying when she sang her "I do's" to her husband (who in turn was also moved to tears! Awwww....) Here's the video... trust me, you'll need tissue!

She sang this wonderful song entitled "Two Words," composed by Louie Ocampo and lyrics by Freddie Santos.

In a while, in a word,
Every moment now returns.
For a while, seen or heard,
How each memory softly burns.
Facing you who brings me new tomorrows,
I thank God for yesterdays,
How they led me to this very hour,
How they led me to this place...

Every touch, every smile,
You have given me in care.
Keep in heart, always I'll,
Now be treasuring everywhere.
And if life should come to just one question,
Do I hold this moment true?
No trace of sadness,
Always with gladness...
'I DO...'

Now a song that speaks of now and ever,
Beckons me to someone new,
Unexpected, unexplored, unseen,
Filled with promise coming through.
In a while, in a word,
You and I forever change,
Love so clear, never blurred,
Has me feeling wondrous, strange,
And if life should come to just one question,
Do I face each moment true?
No trace of sadness, always with gladness,
'I DO...'

Never with sadness...
Always with gladness...
'I...DO....'

The thing with graduating from college is, one starts thinking about things in the future... things one might have never thought of before due to lack of time or inspiration. And I must confess, before this morning, I haven't really thought of marriage.

But seeing LIGHT TALK, and that lovely video of Lea serenading her beloved at their wedding, really HAD me thinking!!

And it's settled. I am singing "Two Words" in my wedding, as well as the George Canseco song, "Ikaw." :)

Hmmm. Now all that remains is for my husband to be revealed to me. :) In God's time.

TOMORROW I START WORK!!!!!!!!

11 comments:

  1. Wow!!! She has a blog! That's so cool; I find blogging artists so down to earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh! i saw her and met her! she's so professional :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not all of them are... but Lea definitely is (yuck, feeling close! first name basis! haha.) I luff her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waaaaa lucky lucky you! And you have the same name as her baby! How cute is that??!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha di naman, Kim :) napaisip lang about the kind of ceremony I'd like to have.

    Uuuuuy... invite mo ako sa kasal niyo a? ;) I'll do anything!!! Carry music stands, pretend to be a living statue... anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE LEA!!!! syempre i could not pass the chance when i saw the name on the blog header, hahahahahhaha..... and i love that song "two words" i know i have the drafts for an all-female arrangement somewhere..... i think its in the dark corners of my hard drive, mwahahahha. i just love her. i think its part of my ultimate bucket list to perform with her.... either as a singer or a conductor.... mwahahahhahahahahahahahah..... i would definitely be awed when in the middle of an overture that i am conducting, her voice rings clear in the theater. i would have to be slapped by my concert master because i stopped conducting.... mwahahahahhahaha.

    then i would be in tears.... just to hear her sing two words..... that would break my heart.

    syempre comment lang ito..... hahhahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to read your blogs, I really spend time reading them, for one you write sensible things that others could get some lessons from and number two I feel that you write from the heart. This perticular blog is something I really like, you don't know it but I am an avid fan of Lea but I belong to the silent group if you may call it that way. I have followed her from her young age of 10 with the song You Are But A Small Voice, to her Miss Saigon days and now as a wife and a mother. She did Annie 30 years ago with Repertory Philippines and 10 years ago Rep produced it again, Bianca auditioned and was lucky enough to be chosen by the late Zenadia Amador, Baby Barredo and Lea Salonga herself for the lead with two others and that started Bianca's career in theater. I have a video of that portion of her vows during her wedding day and a magazine that featured the same event. Bianca and the Madz had a concert with her last year before their European tour. She is indeed a pride of the Filipino people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OHMYGOSH Kuya would it be possible for you to include that song in your recital?

    I'll be in tears when I hear it... I just know I'll be an emotional wreck. :) Hehe. But of course, it's your recital. :)

    She has one of the most beautiful voices in the world!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mrs. Lopez! Wow, thank you po for taking the time to read my petty rants. :) Thank you also for sharing that amazing story about Bianca, ang galing galing naman! May video ba po kayo nung kumanta si Bianca as Annie? :) We'd love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's quite a story when during the rehearsal for Annie and the dog was taken in Bianca got really scared (having no experience with dogs) she could have done the lead but due to this incident they decided to cast her as Kate, one of the orphans. After the play Repertory formed the singing group called REPSHOWSTOPPERSY2K and Bianca was tasked to sing the song Tomorrow on all their concerts. I have a video of one of these concerts posted on my site "Bianca's performances through the years" watch the video clips on her when you find the time, you'll get aliw.

    ReplyDelete